Utilization Review RN
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-5136
Job Department: 1007301 MWHC-Care Management
Job Posted Date: Oct 08, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Utilization Review Nurse is responsible for following the healthcare system’s Utilization Program which integrates the function of utilization review and resource management to assure care is provided in the most appropriate setting utilizing medically indicated resources. The Utilization Review model outlines a collaborative practice to improve quality through coordination of care impacting length of stay, minimizing cost, and ensuring optimum outcomes. The Utilization Review Nurse is responsible for ensuring services provided are compliant with professional standards, national and local coverage determinations, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) as well as state and federal regulatory requirements, as applicable.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Applies clinical criteria to monitor appropriateness of admissions and continued stay.
- Documents findings and relays information to primary physician as needed.
- Identifies and refers cases to physician advisor per UR policy as appropriate.
- Manages any denials related to information provided to/received from payers.
- Assures that key regulatory requirements are met.
- Documents key updates using appropriate software.
- Collects denial data for outcome and key performance indicators and documents accordingly.
- Identifies appropriate regulatory letters needing to be delivered to patients and families and communicates need to the Unit Care Team.
- Educates physicians and staff regarding appropriate level of care/utilization issues.
- Assures correct documentation of utilization review status within Electronic Health Record Utilization Review Module for timely claim filing.
- Manages and maintains EPIC Work ques related to Utilization Review and timely claim filing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in Nursing
- Two years of experience in acute care hospital setting
- Experience with computer technology, specifically experience with Windows based programs, e-mail, and Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge and experience in utilization review.
License and/or Certifications
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state required
- Certification in Case Management
- Certification in MCG Criteria
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine