City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Support Services
Position Hours: 4Apply
Position Shift: Day/Evening (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-2547
Job Department: 4059901 MIF-Corporate
Job Posted Date: Mar 09, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable to efficiently, effectively, and accurately transcribe medical reports and other communications as needed, in order to correctly document imaging procedures, findings, activities, and operations. In addition to transcribing, the Transcriptionist performs a variety of clerical and support functions that facilitate day-to-day operations and communications throughout the medical community. The Transcriptionist supports the mission, vision, values, and strategic initiatives of Mary Washington Healthcare and demonstrates a commitment of quality service to our patients and their families, the community, physicians, and other Associates.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Transcribes or edits physician dictations (radiographic interpretations) accurately and within the specified time frame based on patient acuity, ordering priority, and published departmental exam turnaround times.
- Ensures information provided is complete as possible and no pertinent patient information missing from standard reports/other dictations.
- Proofs dictations/reports for spelling, grammar, clarity, consistency, and proper medical terminology; corrects errors or brings to the attention of the dictating physician, as appropriate.
- Resolves discrepancies and verifies missing or questionable information prior to submitting reports for signature.
- Prioritizes work effectively so that reports are available when needed and patient care is not compromised.
- Maintains a level of productivity that meets or exceeds established productivity targets.
- Assists in other areas of the department when not performing transcription functions (during slow times).
- Performs Power scribe support functions, as needed, to maximize the efficiency and accuracy of voice-to-text recognition software.
- This includes creating and maintaining auto-text, short-cuts, templates, and glossaries, and troubleshooting minor computer/equipment problems (such as replacing microphones, headsets, foot pedals, etc.).
- Monitors and maintains an adequate inventory of transcription/office supplies and materials to ensure all are working properly and/or available as needed.
- Files, faxes, copies, mails, and distributes Radiology reports as directed and according to HIPAA regulations to ensure timely and confidential communication of all exam results.
- Monitors the Primordial pallet and responds immediately to alerts from Radiologists; after addressing alerts, documents "critical and non-critical contact referring", "fax and confirm", and other communications completely, accurately, and according to department guidelines.
- For critical test results, establishes contact with ordering physicians to assist the Radiologist in communicating the results within the required 30 minute time frame.
- When unable to reach the ordering physician, escalates according to Radiology's critical test communications protocol.
- Maintains an up-to-date directory of physician "mail-out" addresses and verifies that addresses are accurate prior to mailing reports to out-of-town physician offices.
- For reports that are being mailed out, assures they are mailed within 24 hours of being dictated.
- Investigates and resolves transcribed reports and addendum's awaiting signature on a daily basis or more often, as needed.
- Assists with the resolution of exams performed but not dictated, as requested.
- Greets all physicians, Associates, and customers in a courteous and professional manner.
- Answers telephones courteously, professionally, and by the third ring.
- Responds to requests for reports, assistance, or information in an efficient, effective and confidential manner.
- Performs routine clerical/support functions and additional duties as assigned by the Radiology Support Services Supervisor.
- Maintains competency in job responsibilities as evidenced by completion of all initial/annual Competency Based Orientation Tools for Radiology Transcriptionist.
- Is proficient in the use of Power scribe, Syngo, Primordial, iSite, and other Radiology or information systems as required.
- Adheres to departmental policies, procedures, standards, and protocols to ensure effective operations and quality patient care.
- Keeps abreast of downtime procedures and, during downtime
- Supports the department by following defined downtime processes that ensure the timely completion and resulting of all exams with minimal disruption to flow.
- Participates in Performance Improvement activities for Radiology utilizing PDCA (Plan, Do, Check, Act) approach to improvement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and above average computer, word processing, and proof-reading skills.
- Ability to work with physicians, staff, and patients in a confidential and effective manner.
- Previous experience with a voice recognition system and medical transcription in a healthcare setting preferred.
- Certified Medical Transcription (CMT) credential preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.