Technician, Procedure MA Certification required
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 36Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-4416
Job Department: 4906032 MWMG-Spine & Rehabilitation
Job Posted Date: Jul 22, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Procedure Technician controls patient flow for providers, obtains and documents patient vitals, and performs other patient care and clerical duties. Under the direct supervision of a Physician, performs patient care and delivers therapeutic interventions in a proficient, age specific manner. Duties and responsibilities are performed according to standards outlined in the competency-based evaluation tool. This position is responsible for specific scrub duties in conjunction with policies, procedures and objectives of the procedure room/fluoroscopy suite.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Greets and escorts patients to exam room in a timely and courteous manner.
Reviews patient chart to ensure all reports and results required by provider are available prior to exam/treatment. Obtains reports and results as required.
Obtains and documents patient chief complaint and patient vitals (height, weight, BP, fingerstick, etc.)
Reviews patient-supplied history forms for completeness. Queries to obtain missing information within parameters established by supervising provider.
Assists providers with examinations, diagnostic procedures, and treatments.
Adheres to infection control/safety guidelines, and confidentiality policies.
Displays adequate working knowledge of interventional pain procedure to assist and participate effectively as a procedure room member.
Implements, prioritizes, and communicates safe therapeutic care for the patient throughout the patient’s procedure experience.
- Maintains and prepares the Procedure Room for interventional procedures. Obtains and sets up sterile field with appropriate instruments, supplies, and equipment.
- Performs under the direction of the physician during procedures to position and prep the patient, drape the sterile field, and pass instrumentation.
- Follows aseptic technique when opening sterile supplies and maintains highest standard of sterile techniques during procedure. Prepares instruments for terminal sterilization after use.
- Assists the physician during procedures.
- Performs proper handling of sharps on the sterile field.
- Demonstrates knowledge of medications and proper labeling of all solutions on sterile field.
- Maintains and properly cares for equipment and supplies.
- Maintains physician’s preference cards.
- Assists with room turnover.
- Achieves infection control with adherence to the surgical attire and aseptic technique.
Provides safe environment for the patient to include:
- Confirms patient identification and correct site by participation in “Time Out” prior to start of procedure.
- Disposes of medical waste suitably.
- Handles sharps appropriately to prevent exposures.
- Demonstrates knowledge about medications on the sterile field and labels all solutions appropriately.
- Assists with advanced spine/pain procedures, including the operation of the fluoroscopy machine (within scope of practice), under the direct supervision and in the presence of a physician/provider.
- Adherence to all operating and safety procedures set forth by the Virginia Department of Radiation Protection (includes usage of individual dosimeter).
- Communicates with patients regarding provider advice, instructions, and/or results within scope of training.
Documents all activities/interventions, patient/family responses, medication prescribed, fluoroscopy times, etc., in the medical record.
Performs patient support duties under the direction of a licensed clinical professional, which may include, but are not limited to:
- Performs venipuncture
- Collects and labels specimens
- Collaborates with the care team in formation of the patient’s plan of care to achieve desired outcomes. Collects and labels specimens
Uses effective communication and team skills to provide good internal and external customer service. Notifies supervisor of team member counseling issues as appropriate.
Ensures exam/procedure room is appropriately supplied and set up to accommodate encounter based upon reason for patient visit.
Orders and maintains appropriate amounts of patient care supplies for the department.
Exhibits accountability for professional growth and continuing education requirements. Participates in educational programs and experience to broaden individual knowledge base.
Works toward cost containment by eliminating wasted resources.
Participates in the orientation of new hires.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Medical Assistant Certification required.
- American Heart Association CPR certification required.
- Successful completion of fluoroscopy competency and sterile competency checklists as determined by supervising physician once internal training is completed.
- Proficiency in basic clinical skills as required by specialty (i.e. phlebotomy, blood pressure, EKG, injections, autoclaving instruments).
- Knowledge of policies and procedures related to infection control, environmental safety, and patient confidentiality.
- Previous sterile technique experience preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ prior experience providing clinical support in a medical office setting preferred.
- Electronic Medical Records experience preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.