Surgical Technologist-Operating Room-Ambulatory Surgery Center-FASC, Full Time
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day/Evening (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-7473
Job Department: 4604025 FASC-Surgical
Job Posted Date: May 23, 2022
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, performs direct patient care and delivers therapeutic interventions in a proficient, age specific manner. This position is responsible for specific scrub duties in conjunction with policies, procedures and objectives of the FASC Operating Room (OR).
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with the care team in formation of the patient’s plan of care to achieve desired outcomes.
- Displays adequate working knowledge of surgical procedures to assist and participate effectively as a surgical team member.
- Implements, prioritizes, and communicates safe therapeutic care for the patient throughout the patient’s operative experience.
- Prepares OR rooms with appropriate instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment.
- Assists the surgical team during operative procedures.
- Follows aseptic technique in opening sterile supplies and set up for procedures.
- Drapes patients for surgical procedure.
- Performs proper handling of sharps on the surgical field.
- Executes accurate and proper handling of specimens.
- Demonstrates knowledge of medications and proper labeling of all solutions on sterile field.
- Performs surgical counts per policy with RN.
- Maintains and properly cares for equipment and supplies.
- Maintains physician’s preference cards.
- Assists with room turnover.
- Exhibits knowledge about the routine in the decontamination of instrumentation.
- Initiates action in emergency situations.
- Achieves infection control with adherence to the surgical attire and aseptic technique.
- Provides safe environment for the patient to include:
- Confirms patient identification and correct site surgery by participation in “Time Out” prior to start of procedure.
- Uses electrosurgery unit and lasers properly, when applicable.
- Performs surgical counts according to recommended standards.
- Handles specimens correctly and accurately.
- Disposes of medical waste suitably.
- Handles sharps appropriately to prevent exposures.
- Demonstrates knowledge about medications on the sterile field and labels all solutions appropriately.
- Supports and adheres to general performance standards and policies for all FASC staff.
- Assists in the maintenance of physician preference cards.
- Participates in Quality Improvement activities and evaluates effectiveness.
- Works toward cost containment by eliminating wasted resources.
- Displays flexibility and ability to perform duties in safe and time efficient manner. Maintains room turnover time at, or below, present facility average.
- Uses effective communication and team skills to provide good internal and external customer service. Notifies supervisor of team member counseling issues as appropriate.
- Exhibits accountability for professional growth and continuing education requirements.
- Participates in the orientation of new hires.
- Adheres to universal precautions.
- Uses proper body mechanics in all aspects of job tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Clinical education and/or experience must meet one of the following criteria:
- a. Graduate of an approved formal program to include one of the following: OR Technology, Surgical Scrub Tech, or Surgical Technology (six months experience preferred)
- b. Licensed Practical Nurse eligible to practice in Virginia with one year operating room experience
- c. Trained Scrub/Operating Room Tech with a minimum of seven (7) years hospital operating room experience
- Must become a Certified Surgical Technologist within 6 months of hire.
- Effective December 2021, registration with the Virginia Board of Medicine as a Surgical Technologist required.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine