Surgical Technologist, Days/Eve- FASC
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 36Apply
Position Shift: Day/Evening (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-3431
Job Department: 4604025 FASC-Surgical
Job Posted Date: May 13, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, performs direct patient care and delivers therapeutic interventions in a proficient, age specific manner. This position is responsible for specific scrub duties in conjunction with policies, procedures and objectives of the FASC Operating Room (OR).
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with the care team in formation of the patient’s plan of care to achieve desired outcomes.
- Displays adequate working knowledge of surgical procedures to assist and participate effectively as a surgical team member.
- Implements, prioritizes, and communicates safe therapeutic care for the patient throughout the patient’s operative experience.
- Prepares OR rooms with appropriate instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment.
- Assists the surgical team during operative procedures.
- Follows aseptic technique in opening sterile supplies and set up for procedures.
- Drapes patients for surgical procedure.
- Performs proper handling of sharps on the surgical field.
- Executes accurate and proper handling of specimens.
- Demonstrates knowledge of medications and proper labeling of all solutions on sterile field.
- Performs surgical counts per policy with RN.
- Maintains and properly cares for equipment and supplies.
- Maintains physician’s preference cards.
- Assists with room turnover.
- Exhibits knowledge about the routine in the decontamination of instrumentation.
- Initiates action in emergency situations.
- Achieves infection control with adherence to the surgical attire and aseptic technique.
- Provides safe environment for the patient to include:
- Confirms patient identification and correct site surgery by participation in “Time Out” prior to start of procedure.
- Uses electrosurgery unit and lasers properly, when applicable.
- Performs surgical counts according to recommended standards.
- Handles specimens correctly and accurately.
- Disposes of medical waste suitably.
- Handles sharps appropriately to prevent exposures.
- Demonstrates knowledge about medications on the sterile field and labels all solutions appropriately.
- Supports and adheres to general performance standards and policies for all FASC staff.
- Assists in the maintenance of physician preference cards.
- Participates in Quality Improvement activities and evaluates effectiveness.
- Works toward cost containment by eliminating wasted resources.
- Displays flexibility and ability to perform duties in safe and time efficient manner. Maintains room turnover time at, or below, present facility average.
- Uses effective communication and team skills to provide good internal and external customer service. Notifies supervisor of team member counseling issues as appropriate.
- Exhibits accountability for professional growth and continuing education requirements.
- Participates in the orientation of new hires.
- Adheres to universal precautions.
- Uses proper body mechanics in all aspects of job tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Clinical education and/or experience must meet one of the following criteria:
- a. Graduate of an approved formal program to include one of the following: OR Technology, Surgical Scrub Tech, or Surgical Technology (six months experience preferred)
- b. Licensed Practical Nurse eligible to practice in Virginia with one year operating room experience
- c. Trained Scrub/Operating Room Tech with a minimum of seven (7) years hospital operating room experience
- Must become a Certified Surgical Technologist within 6 months of hire.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.