Specialist, Bariatric Behavioral Health
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 24Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-288
Job Department: 4906210 MWMG-MW Weight Loss Center
Job Posted Date: Sep 25, 2020
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Bariatric Behavioral Health Specialist provides behavioral and wellness counseling services to the Bariatric patient population. The Specialist conducts wellness consults with potential patients to determine appropriateness for surgery and completes psychological assessments, evaluations, and coaching services for the selected surgical patient population.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Conducts behavioral health evaluations for surgical weight loss and weight management candidates.
- Elicits clinically relevant information during the interview process with a critical focus on determining appropriateness for bariatric surgery, i.e. medical and psychological history, relationship with food, and previous success and failure with weight loss.
- Determines appropriate psychological dispositions for patients evaluated based on clinical judgment, such as their competency for decision-making and following instructions.
- Provides feedback to physician on findings and disposition.
- Develops and maintains a coaching relationship with participating surgical patients.
- Assists patients in identifying steps to achieve behavior goals and lifestyle changes in one-on-one and group settings.
- Leads in-person and virtual post-bariatric surgery support groups.
- Assesses and addresses how post-surgical patients are coping with the changes.
- Coordinates and communicates as necessary with nutrition staff, nursing, and physicians.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in a health related field such as Behavioral Psychology, Social Work, or other related degree required.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in weight management or addiction counseling required.
- Experience with behavior modification counseling required.
- AHA CPR (BLS for Healthcare Providers) required.
- Board certified through the National Board Certification for Health & Wellness Coaches and/or Master's Degree in a health related field preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.