City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-4543
Job Department: 4906031 MWMG-Orthopedics
Job Posted Date: Jul 28, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is responsible for accurately performing the scheduling functions for scheduled patients, which includes scheduling of assigned outpatient diagnostic procedures and assisting with the insurance verification process. This includes, but is not limited to answering telephones, maintaining records, monitoring flow, and schedules outpatient procedures in the registration system and routes schedules to appropriate modalities. Serves as the contact person with physician’s offices and obtains an established list of required data elements from physician’s offices when scheduling the procedure. Reviews scheduling orders and processes periodically to assess scheduling quality. Critical to this position is the ability to gather and record all appropriate information that lays the groundwork for the remaining and future fiscal efforts of Mary Washington Healthcare (MWHC). This position must demonstrate a commitment of quality customer service to patients, co-workers, physicians, and the general public.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Greets all patients, visitors, family members, physicians, and associates in a courteous and professional manner. Addresses customers’ needs efficiently, effectively, and confidentially.
- Answers telephones courteously, professionally, and by the third ring. Screens and transfers telephone calls or takes messages as appropriate to facilitate effective Radiology communications. Delivers messages in a timely manner.
- Schedules tests as ordered by a physician or his/her staff through appropriate scheduling software.
- Collects all required data elements from an established scheduling minimum data set from physician offices.
- Routes scheduling information to appropriate departments as needed.
- Schedules multiple tests in the proper sequence to ensure efficiency and optimum test results.
- Provides patients/physicians’ offices instructions for proper pre-procedure preparation.
- Utilizes verbal and written methods to communicate new information and changes to all schedulers. Corrects scheduling errors identified by quality review process.
- Utilizes available technologies with physician offices to capture key scheduling information.
- Provides training to scheduling back-up resource as needed.
- Maintains proficiency in the various systems utilized during the outpatient access process.
- Monitors appropriate reports in accordance with the outpatient access process and has a good knowledge of CPT and ICD-10 codes so that orders are entered accurately and efficiently.
- Effectively communicates operational activities and issues with co-workers, Supervisors and Manager.
- Obtain authorization information from certain insurances via their website.
- Interfaces courteously and effectively with internal and external customers. Must consistently present a positive departmental and organizational image, as well as commitment to departmental goals, objectives, standards, policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates proficiency within assigned area of responsibility and a general understanding of the entire patient registration process.
- Identifies and recommends process improvements for the scheduling department
- Maintains accuracy rate in accordance with departmental quality goals, as well as ensuring proper identification checks are adhered to at all times.
- Assists with the outpatient verification process to ensure the accuracy of insurance information and that authorization requirements have been met for all scheduled patients prior to receiving services. Obtains benefit coverage from physician offices and patients. Accurately enters information into computer system. Obtains diagnosis information and/or CPT code from the physician/office or the outpatient department, or performs CPT coding, as necessary for completing the insurance authorization process. Monitors scheduling work-lists to ensure timely scheduling and insurance verification.
- Assures that the patient is given the proper prep, facility location and arrival time for their scheduled exam.
- Assists in the handling of patient financial matters to include: a. informing self-pay patients of the up-front payment requirements for patients with no insurance b. informing patients of MWHC’s policy on Advanced Beneficiary Forms c. providing directions to the various facilities d. informing the patients on the cancellation and no-show policy for the facility e. coordinating the charity process and paperwork f. informing the patients on the policies for co-pay and deductible collections at the time of visit
- Maintains proficiency in the various systems utilized during the pre-access process.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent GED.
- Minimum typing speed of 55-60 wpm required.
- Patient scheduling, registration or call center experience preferred.
- Experience in data entry, customer service, CPT and ICD-10 Codes and medical terminology preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills required.
- Ability to prioritize and perform work in an organized, efficient and effective manner without constant supervision and direction.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine