Registrar-Full Time Days
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-3404
Job Department: 2007020 MWH-Patient Access
Job Posted Date: Jul 27, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
A critical aspect of this position is to understand the revenue cycle and the importance of evaluating and securing all appropriate financial resources for patients to maximize reimbursement to the organization. The Registrar must have a working knowledge of the managed care environment, third party reimbursement, hospital and community services and hospital and health care policies. Essential to maintaining positive patient account outcomes, the Registrar must be capable of articulating information in a clear and informative manner to patients, guarantors, family members, clinical staff, other hospital personnel and vendors, and physicians and their office staff. Critical to this position is the ability to gather and record all appropriate information that lays the groundwork for the remaining and future fiscal efforts of Mary Washington Healthcare. This position is responsible for performing all functions within the registration process.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Interfaces courteously and effectively with all internal and external customers to provide assistance with patient registration, wayfinding, and general inquiries.
- Must consistently present a positive departmental and organizational image, as well as a commitment to departmental goals, objectives, policies, standards and procedures.
- Performs all routine registration duties in a professional and effective manner, including visitor documentation and coordination during situations whereby visitors are restricted.
- Identifies the appropriate patient by performing thorough searches within the Financial System to minimize patient overlays.
- Identifies possible fraudulent identities and completes the Red Flag notification form and notifies the Supervisor immediately to prevent identify theft.
- Responsible for the placing armband on patients and verifying that name and date of birth is displayed correctly for preventative and safety purposes. Ensures that policies related to blood loc armbands are understood and followed.
- Secures appropriate admission status while coordinating patient location assignment to ensure prompt arrival to the nursing unit.
- Accurately and thoroughly completes registrations, maintaining an accuracy rate in accordance with departmental quality goals. Performs quality self-audits on registrations as patient flow permits. Constructively receives and applies quality assurance feedback.
- Ensures the accuracy and completeness of insurance information, verifies eligibility/coverage and ensures authorization requirements have been met through viewing eligibility responses and maintain comments in the financial system.
- Monitors and completes a patient check-in process via Patient Access Sign-In portal to ensure the wait time process is captured in an efficient manner. Communicates wait times to patients.
- Consistently communicates patient/guarantor financial responsibility, requesting payment for co-pays, deductibles and/or self-pay deposits. Provides estimates for uninsured patients. Receives payments and issues receipts according to departmental policy and procedure. Screens for potential Medicaid coverage and/or financial assistance and refers to Financial Counselor as appropriate.
- Processes registration documents in accordance with departmental policies and procedures. Obtains signatures and provides detailed explanations for compliance with State, Federal, and other regulatory requirements.
- Assists within other areas when requested for staffing needs for coverage of shifts
- Communicates operational activities to leadership on a regular and timely basis, and participates in performance improvement activities as needed.
- Identifies and recommends process improvements within the registration processes.
- Transports patients safely and effectively (as needed) by wheelchair using safety straps, and locks as appropriate. Recognizes equipment or patient problems and brings to attention of nurse, Charge nurse, Manager, or Supervisor. Provides for patient confidentiality, discretion, and diplomacy.
- Ensures patient waiting area is maintained in a neat and orderly fashion and that infection control precautions are followed. Notifies Environmental Services about any areas that need attention.
- Adheres to the Mary Washington Healthcare Integrity Program and all organizational standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent GED required.
- One to two years Healthcare and registration experience preferred.
- Computer skills relevant to the position required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required. Ability to interview patient in stressful situations while remaining calm and professional.
- Certified Revenue Cycle Specialist (CRCS) certification preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.