Radiology Assistant-Full Time Days/Evenings
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-6264
Job Department: 4054302 MIF-Radiology-Diagnostic
Job Posted Date: Nov 16, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Radiology Assistant performs patient-related clerical, maintenance, and direct patient care activities including assisting, transporting, preparing, and observing patients to facilitate safe, effective, and confidential patient care. The Radiology Assistant also provides environmental and technical support including room and equipment preparation/set-up for procedures, and clean-up of room/equipment after a procedure is completed.
Monday – Friday 2:00pm-1030pm with rotating weekend schedule every 3rd Saturday shift of 6:30am-3:00pm
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Greets all patients, visitors, family members, physicians, and Associates in a courteous and professional manner. Addresses customers’ needs efficiently, effectively, and confidentially.
- Transports patients safely and effectively by wheelchair or stretcher using side rails, safety straps, and locks as appropriate. Exercises caution with regards to oxygen tanks and other medical devices.
- Observes/monitors patients for comfort, safety, and mental and physical status while transporting and while in exam room. Alerts technologist, physician, or supervisor of patient problems or concerns.
- Recognizes equipment or patient problems and brings to attention of technologist, physician, or supervisor as appropriate.
- Prepares procedure rooms for examinations or procedures by obtaining required instruments, supplies, and equipment, and assisting in the creation and maintenance of a safe and orderly environment. Keeps non-compatible equipment/devices out of scanner room (MRI). Cleans exam rooms and equipment after procedures to prepare for next patient.
- Prepares patients for procedures per department standards and protocols, ensuring adherence to proper identification checks. Assists during procedures as requested and performs technical and limited patient care activities under the direction of a technologist, nurse, physician extender or physician.
- Maintains an adequate inventory of supplies and materials by reporting inventory depletion and restocking to ensure their continued availability and non-interruption of services.
- Adheres to departmental policies, procedures, standards, and protocols to ensure effective departmental operations and quality patient care. Demonstrates a high degree of knowledge and understanding of modality services/activities.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients, personnel, and visitors by requiring and supporting the establishment, maintenance, and education of an effective safety management program. Adheres to safety practices for staff, patients, and self.
- Remains proficient in the use Radiology/Information Management systems as needed.
- Participates in Performance improvement activities.
- Performs other functions as directed to assist and support the Technologist.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Responsibilities for Medical Imaging of Fredericksburg, LLC (MIF):
- Conducts appointment confirmation calls to patients which may include payment information, exam preparation/screening (MRI questionnaire, as appropriate), and directions to facility.
- Monitors patient schedules, workflow and activities. Provides updates and follow-up to staff and patients/family on activities and delays.
- Collects films/CDs, obtains comparison films, screens patients prior to exam per modality guidelines, QCs patient schedules for exam correctness and patient orders, dresses patients appropriately for the exam being performed, and contacts physician offices to obtain missing orders.
- Reports, records, and files patient and procedural data to document department operations and facilitate billing for services.
- Performs venipuncture on patients of all ages following laboratory protocol for iStat and I.V. procedures under the direct supervision of Radiologist/Technologist (required within 90 days of hire).
- Assists with changing MRI coils during MRI procedures. MIF Mammography and Ultrasound (ICW-Women’s Imaging)
- Assists with monitoring the schedule for ultrasound and/or mammography procedures, ensuring the appropriate orders are scanned into the EMR and the appointment sequencing and length are correct. Provides patient with applicable medical history questionnaire.
- Adheres to radiation safety practices for staff, patients, and self, as needed; including principles of time, distance, and shielding when possible.
- Transports biopsy specimens to the courier pick-up location.
- NOT required to perform venipuncture.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- BLS certification required.
- Previous experience in a patient care setting preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine