City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Clinical Professional (Allied Health)
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-5801
Job Department: 4906451 MWMG-Gen Surgery & Trauma
Job Posted Date: Oct 18, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Assists the supervising physician in the management of patients, and performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures under the physician’s supervision. The P.A. works closely and assists the physician in providing quality, efficient and continuous cost-effective care.
The MWMG General Surgery and Trauma medical practice provides support to the Mary Washington Hospital Trauma Center which is a verified Level II Trauma Center in Fredericksburg, VA. The trauma and acute care surgical team provides 24/7 comprehensive trauma care, general surgery, and surgical critical care to patients with life-threatening injuries and diseases and provides elective surgeries for the surrounding community.
Rotating shifts. Weekdays, nights, weekends, and holidays
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Obtain, record, and dictate medical histories.
- Perform record and dictate physical examinations.
- Dictate discharge and transfer summaries.
- Make daily rounds, record progress notes, write routine orders (comfort and diet, laboratory tests, non-invasive examinations).
- Prepare patients for discharge from the hospital.
- Educate patients and family regarding disease, procedures, medications, nutrition, health care and post-discharge care.
- Act as liaison between patients and physician.
- Act as liaison between nursing and physician.
- Educate office staff in the form of in-services.
- Request consults from appropriate physicians.
- Follow-up with outpatients.
- Handle phone calls from patients and home health nurses.
- Evaluate patients who require a medical consult.
- Assist the physician in all aspects of patient care as requested.
- Manage appropriate patient databases.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
- Virginia Physician Assistant license required.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Previous experience as a PA preferred.
- New graduates will be considered only if they possess Emergency Medicine, ICU, or surgical tech experience
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine