Phlebotomist, Part Time
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 20Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-1610
Job Department: 2004275 MWH-MLV @ Princess Anne
Job Posted Date: May 04, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Laboratory Phlebotomist is responsible for specimen collection, processing, and data entry services. The incumbent in this position will support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of Mary Washington Healthcare and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public and other Associates.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Greets all patients, visitors, family members, physicians, and Associates in a courteous and professional manner.
- Monitors and maintains an adequate inventory of phlebotomy supplies and materials, as well as patient preparations, to ensure smooth operations in the phlebotomy work area and non-interruption of patient and customer services.
- Responsible for training new associates and students from affiliated phlebotomy programs.
- Addresses customers’ needs efficiently, effectively, and confidentially.
- Performs blood collection by venipuncture and dermal puncture from patients of all ages accurately and efficiently following proper laboratory standards and procedures.
- Collection of other body fluids may be required.
- Follows all required processes for positive patient identification and registration.
- Responsible for precise labeling of all samples as dictated by appropriate policies.
- Responsible for precise execution of all specimen collection as dictated by appropriate policies.
- Accepts and accessions specimens delivered to the laboratory by physicians and nursing personnel.
- Responsible to answer telephone and assist caller as needed or direct caller to appropriate department in a timely manner to provide effective communication and quality service.
- Responsible for test order entry, patient information data entry, and specimen information data entry in the laboratory computer system accurately and efficiently.
- Provide oral or written reports upon request from physicians, physician office personnel, and nursing units for inpatients and outpatients.
- Prints daily workflow reports, including HRP and un-received specimen lists, and communicates turn around delays to the supervisor immediately.
- Adheres to departmental and organizational policies, procedures, standards, and protocols to ensure effective departmental operations and quality patient care.
- Must adhere to patient confidentiality policies.
- Creates an atmosphere that fosters team work and cooperation among fellow Associates.
- Displays a positive attitude and professional appearance.
- Responsible for retrieval of appropriate forms and information required to bill and meet regulatory requirements; scans all forms correctly into Hospital Imaging System.
- Locates and processes standing orders.
- Performs quick registration, retrieves account number, and accurately orders tests.
- Covers reception desk at outreach locations and collects correct demographic and insurance information required to check patients into service area.
- Orders laboratory tests in laboratory information system, identifies miscellaneous tests and appropriately investigates specimen requirements using MAYO online catalog.
- Covers processing area at outreach locations; prepares and tracks specimens for deliver to clinical laboratory sites.
- Completes cross training to ensure competency for covering physician office embedded phlebotomy duties, traveling nursing home and home phlebotomy duties, and patient service center site rotations.
- Communicate with Client Services and Courier Services to ensure accurate and timely delivery of specimens, supplies, and reports.
- Perform glucose checks using glucometer equipment.
- Communicates specimen collection requirements and receives specimens collected at home from outpatients.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required.
- One year of phlebotomy experience or successful completion of an accredited, structured phlebotomy training program.
- ASCP phlebotomy certification desired.
- American Heart Association (AHA) CPR certification required.
- Previous customer service experience helpful.
- Excellent interpersonal and telephone skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks required
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.