Paramedic Full Time Days- Stafford Hospital
City/State: Stafford, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 36Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-5824
Job Department: 2504015 SH-PeriAnesthesia Services
Job Posted Date: Oct 20, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable to provide clinical and technical support procedures, assisting nurses and medical staff to ensure quality care. Duties and responsibilities are performed according to standards outlined in the competency based evaluation tool. The incumbent in this position will support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of Mary Washington Healthcare and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public and co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Provides direct and indirect patient care under the direction of and as assigned by the Nurse Manager, Patient Care Manager, Charge Nurse or Team Leader.
- Provides care that reflects initiative, flexibility and responsibility indicative of professional expectation with minimum supervision.
- Determines priorities of care based on the physical and psychosocial needs, as well as factors influencing patient flow through the system.
- Assists patients with basic care needs and any other duties related to the well-being of the patient following established nursing policies and procedures.
- Administers treatments and various procedures (within their scope of practice) to patients as ordered by the physician and directed by the Professional Nursing Staff.
- Communicates with Emergency Department physicians about changes in patient status, symptomology and results of diagnostic studies.
- Responds quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
- Performs monitor technician duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Obtaining vital signs – frequency specific to patient's acuity and/or changes in patient’s condition.
- Performs venipuncture and starts IVs.
- Phlebotomy and specimen collection with proper labeling/transporting of specimens.
- Applying cardiac monitor where appropriate; performs 12-lead EKG.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the treatment of cardiac emergencies to include medication management, defibrillation, cardioversion, and non-invasive pacing.
- Setup sterile trays for suturing/sterile procedures.
- Insertion of foley catheter when appropriate; documentation of intake and output.
- Demonstrate collaborative relationship with MWHC Emergency Services Associates, physicians, and ancillary partners both verbally and through accurate documentation.
- Demonstrates competence in medication management and administration.
- Performs splinting and/or application of orthopedic adjuncts per physician orders.
- Performs the following respiratory therapy specific tasks: set up and management of ventilator, and/or BIPAP/CPAP machines, nebulizer treatments, and ABGs.
- Demonstrates competency in the following respiratory therapy specific treatments: monitoring of end tidal CO2, pediatric asthma protocol, intubation preparation to include Glidescope, Bougie, and Pilot Balloon repair kit.
- Accepts responsibility for professional growth, development, regulatory requirements and education requirement at the MWHC and department level.
- Maintains licensure or certifications required for the position held during employment.
- Performs other duties as appropriate within the position’s scope of practice, including duties of other care team members.
- High School / GED required.
- Current Virginia State Paramedic Certification and/or National Registry
- CPR, ACLS and PALS certification required.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine