Outpatient Services Representative-Full Time Days
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Support Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day/Evening (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-3099
Job Department: 2004310 MWH-Radiology Support
Job Posted Date: Apr 27, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable to perform a variety of clerical, reception, and support functions that ensure timely and effective day-to-day operations and communications throughout the Radiology Department. This includes answering telephones, greeting patients, entering Radiology orders, scheduling out-patient examinations, maintaining records, monitoring flow, serving as a patient advocate/liaison to the imaging modalities, and relaying information that is often confidential and time-sensitive. The Outpatient Services Representative supports the mission, vision, values, and strategic initiatives of Mary Washington Healthcare and demonstrates a commitment of quality service to our patients and their families, the community, physicians, and other Associates.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Greets all patients, visitors, family members, physicians, and Associates in a courteous and professional manner.
- Prioritizes appropriately so that customers’ needs are all addressed efficiently and effectively.
- Answers telephones courteously, professionally, and by the third ring.
- Screens and transfers calls or takes messages, as appropriate.
- Communicates information accurately and in a timely manner.
- Maintains a clean, organized, efficiently run Radiology reception area.
- Coordinates patient flow; keeps patients, family members, and Associates informed of activities and delays.
- Cancels and reschedules exams as requested by patients or instructed by clinical staff.
- Provides ongoing follow-up (explanations, apologies, options for rescheduling, etc.) for outpatients who have waited more than fifteen (15) minutes past their scheduled exam times.
- Escalates delays according to department standards when wait times exceed fifteen (15) minutes.
- Rounds in the Radiology waiting rooms at regular intervals throughout the day to clean and straighten, check on patients/visitors, and offer assistance.
- Identifies and resolves or escalates customer complaints. Initiates customer service recovery per MWHC guidelines when service failures occur.
- Schedules (or reschedules) out-patient exams using computerized scheduling systems or manually, as needed, based on the needs of the patient and department.
- Obtains all required information per MWHC scheduling guidelines.
- Alerts Insurance Verifiers when scheduling same day “add-ons” to ensure insurance authorization or waiver is obtained if needed.
- Coordinates resources including Interventional Radiology physicians or mid-levels, Anesthesia Services, and others, as directed by Radiology clinical staff and physicians. Gathers pertinent records (lab results, physician orders, histories and physicals, etc.) based on procedure(s) being performed.
- Distributes up-to-date “next day” outpatient schedules, by the designated time each day, to all Radiology sub-sections.
- Contacts out-patients to confirm their scheduled appointment times, verify orders and medical information, complete MRI screening questionnaires, discuss preparations or special instructions, and answer any questions or concerns, a minimum of forty-eight (48) hours prior to their scheduled appointment times.
- Verifies that a valid physician’s order (written script) and required records are available; resolves any conflicts/concerns with the appropriate modality supervisor or clinical staff prior to the patient’s actual appointment.
- Enters Radiology orders efficiently, effectively, and accurately into the Radiology Information System.
- Identifies patients according to the organization’s patient identification standard; verifies that orders, referring physicians’ names, and other information is correct prior to finalizing order entry.
- Scans/archives orders and other paperwork, as needed, to the patient’s electronic medical record.
- Assists modalities by ensuring patients complete required paperwork (medication sheets, medical information forms, pregnancy forms, etc.) while waiting.
- Performs routine clerical/support functions and additional duties as assigned by the Radiology Support Services Supervisor.
- Maintains competency in job responsibilities as evidenced by completion of all initial/annual Competency Based Orientation Tools.
- Maintains proficiency in the use of Radiology and other information systems used in the performance of daily job functions.
- Adheres to departmental policies, procedures, standards, and protocols to ensure safe and effective operations and quality patient care.
- Keeps abreast of downtime procedures and, during downtime's, supports the department by following defined downtime processes that ensure the timely completion of all exams with minimal disruption to flow.
- Monitors and maintains an adequate inventory of office supplies and materials to ensure their continued availability and no service failures.
- Participates in Performance Improvement activities, including LEAN, for Radiology utilizing the PDCA (Plan, Do, Check, Act) approach to improvement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- Basic computer skills are preferred.
- Ability to work with physicians, staff, and patients in a confidential and effective manner.
- Good communication skills (both verbal and written).
- A minimum of 6 months of patient scheduling, registration or call center experience preferred.
- CPT and ICD-9 codes and medical terminology preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.