OR Surgical First Assistant
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 20Apply
Position Shift: Day/Evening (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-5523
Job Department: 2004001 MWH-Operating Room
Job Posted Date: Oct 07, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Under the direct and indirect supervision of the attending physician and in a cohesive manner with all surgical staff functions in a surgical assist role, the First Surgical Assistant assists the team in providing quality individualized patient care. The First Surgical Assistant will demonstrate knowledge and skills necessary to provide services appropriate to the age of the patients served Additional, the Surgical Assistant performs other responsibilities as assigned.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Under the supervision of the operating surgeon, assists in skin closure, subcutaneous closure and ties, facia closure and ties, closure and ties of peritoneum, tying deep vessels, incising tissue, and performs haemostatic techniques.
- Assists with procedural set up and patient preparedness for specific procedures in positioning, prepping and draping.
- Observes aseptic techniques in preparing for and assisting with procedures.
- Participates in patient transport, room turnover as indicated by unit activity to facilitate utilization of services in a cost effective manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Functions to present skills and knowledge levels reflective of education and experience at the assistant position at or a minimum of 90 days and or present reference of equivalent experience required.
- Certified First Surgical Assistant required.
- Certified Scrub Tech preferred.
- BLS/CPR certification required.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine