City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 36Apply
Position Shift: Day/Evening (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-5753
Job Department: 4654630 MWEC-Massaponax
Job Posted Date: Oct 08, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Performs a variety of eye care duties to assist the eye care providers in the examination and treatment of eye disorders, using knowledge of basic ophthalmic techniques and procedures.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Reviews appointment schedule to determine patient visit order; greets and escorts patients to examination or treatment room in a courteous manner, instructs or assists patient in preparation for scheduled procedures, and may assist with some minor procedures.
- Performs basic and routine vision screenings examinations as directed, recording data on standard format for interpretation by the eye care provider. This may include pertinent medical and ocular history, visual acuity, stereopsis, color testing, tonometry and lensometry.
- Performs other technical skills as directed by an eye care provider which may include keratometry, refractometry, automated perimetry and ocular imaging.
- Administers eye medications as ordered by the Ophthalmologists and Optometrists, and demonstrates knowledge of ocular pharmacy to assigned provider annually, or as requested.
- Cleans and maintains ophthalmic instruments appropriately.
- Performs clerical and reception duties as directed.
- Registers patients in the Practice Management Information System (PMIS), obtaining and/or verifying all relevant demographic and insurance information to ensure the timely and accurate processing of claims.
- Reviews electronic eligibility verification responses to ensure insurance coverage is in effect for all insured patients.
- Answers all incoming phone calls. When appropriate, takes messages and delivers/communicates in a timely manner. Triages calls to ensure timely and appropriate response. Checks voicemail messages consistently throughout the day.
- Processes patients through computer-based scheduling system for appointments, surgeries, procedures and/or testing as appropriate for patient care.
- Schedules follow up appointments, diagnostic testing and other services for patients.
- Assists with client and patient billing and evaluates claims for correctness and completeness.
- Assists with reviewing patient records to determine proper billing or medical code in accordance to HCFA and ICD guidelines to facilitate prompt, accurate remittance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Two years of experience doing tonometry, visual fields and refractometry required; Certified Ophthalmic Assistant or Technician preferred.
- CPR certification preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine