Nursing Supervisor, MWH
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 36Apply
Position Shift: Day/Evening (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-1999
Job Department: 2001001 MWH-Nursing Administration
Job Posted Date: Jan 25, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is responsible for facilitating the placement of all admissions and transfers into the most appropriate bed available, efficiently as possible, and in accordance with established standards and policies.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates all admissions and transfers into and within MWH/SH during assigned hours. This includes, but is not limited to all ED admissions, same day surgical/procedural admits, direct admissions from physician offices, inter- and intra- unit transfers, and transfers into MWH/SH from other facilities.
- Responds to and coordinates all transfers into MWH/SH through the Transfer Center.
- Performs rounding on Nursing Units to determine immediate and future bed availability.
- Evaluates patients to determine best options for placement.
- Utilizes clinical assessment skills and knowledge related to disease entities, injuries, and epidemiological issues in making judgments related to patient placement using the patient placement guide.
- Communicates with Leadership to ensure patients are admitted/transferred within established guidelines and targets.
- Communicates with Case Management as needed to facilitate appropriate and timely admission, transfers, and discharge.
- Plans and prepares for the placement of patients expected the following day.
- Holds all staff accountable for the timely and accurate updating of bed/patient status within the electronic bed-board.
- Collaborates with Physicians to facilitate appropriate placement of patient (admissions, transfers, and discharges).
- Maintains and utilizes up-to-date knowledge about all units as to type of patients, equipment, space resources, and procedures performed.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of ethical and legal issues as related to patient admission and transfer.
- Collaborates with Administrator on Call when higher level issue needs to be resolved.
- Communicates with patients and families to maintain positive customer satisfaction.
- Develops collaborative relationships with Physicians, Leaders, and Staff to identify and implement opportunities to improve patient care services.
- Participates in updating and developing policies and standards related to patient flow.
- Identifies and takes part in performance improvement opportunities as appropriate.
- Collects and maintains data for key indicators specific to patient flow and Transfer center. Partners with Leadership to analyze and act upon collected data.
- Interfaces with the Senior Leadership to keep Executive Leaders apprised of daily bed status to include AM/PM Census Report; provides PRN status reports as deemed necessary or as requested.
- Facilitate and lead scheduled bed meetings. As needed, available for bed-meetings based upon identified criteria.
- Acts as a liaison/resource for service recovery, escalation of issues/events to Regulatory Affairs and/or the Administrator on Call when Leadership or point-of-contact is not available.
- Collaborates with ancillary departments to ensure patient flow is not negatively impacted due to processes.
- Reports to Incident Command when activated to address patient flow.
- Maintains WEB-Eoc and updates per roll call both scheduled in the event of a disaster.
- Responds to all code blues in the inpatient units and code oranges in the Emergency Dept.
- Assists families in the Morgue with expired viewings. Coordinates sitter resources across MWH and SH.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current Virginia Nursing license required.
- Minimum of 1 year of supervisory experience required.
- Minimum of 2 years recent clinical experience required.
- BSN or Bachelor’s degree in health-related field, preferred.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skills to include Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills in solving problems and resolving conflict.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.