Nurse Practitioner, MWMG-Neurology
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-1467
Job Department: 4906251 MWMG-Neurology
Job Posted Date: Dec 09, 2020
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Rappahannock Neurology Specialists is a hospital based outpatient clinic department of Mary Washington Healthcare (MWHC). The Nurse Practitioner (NP) will work with physicians and technicians to provide care for patients in this neurology practice. This individual will conduct an assessment of physical, psycho-social, cognitive and functional components, develop a treatment plan, order and interpret diagnostic components of the plan, and prescribe non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic agents. Under minimal supervision, the NP will work closely and collaborate with physicians and other health care teams to provide high quality, efficient, integrated, continuous and cost-effective care to patients at MWHC.
A licensed and credentialed NP provides diagnosis, treatment, consultation, and follow-up under the supervision of one or more physicians in the practice. The NP provides age and specialty appropriate medical care at the level of training achieved.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Performs comprehensive health assessments for the purpose of diagnosing and treating individuals.
- Evaluates and treats follow-up patients referred by physicians.
- Prescribes non-pharmacologic therapies and pharmacologic agents.
- Provides relevant patient and family education; makes appropriate referrals to other professional and community agencies.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of plan of care (POC) through documentation of patient outcomes, reassessment, and changes the plan as necessary to achieve mutually established goals.
- Interfaces with community agencies and other health care professionals as a member of an interdisciplinary, collaborative team to provide comprehensive care.
- Consults with physicians, nurses, and other disciplines to assess and care for patients.
- Responsible for self-directed continuing education to include educational programs, participation in quality assurance and maintenance of certification according to law
- Meets and maintains all of the requirements of the practice agreement with the supervising physician under the regulations and requirements of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Communicates with patients, physicians and nurses by making and receiving phone calls, computer tasks, and clinic triage where appropriate.
- Provides medication refills and coordinates follow-up appointments.
- Provides patient education regarding lifestyle changes, nutrition and exercise.
- Provides coverage for practice physicians during physicians’ absences.
- Learns and performs office procedures such as Botox, Nerve Block, Trigger Point injections, and administers medication and injections.
- Maintains patient records through Electronic Medical Records with accurate documentation of all necessary information.
- Completes patient forms/paperwork, such as insurance, disability, FMLA, DMV, etc.
- Performs other clinical and administrative duties as assigned.
- Valid Commonwealth of Virginia license to Practice as a Registered Nurse. MSN required.
- Successful completion of a nurse practitioner education program that holds a national accreditation acceptable to the Virginia Department of Health Professionals required.
- Current Commonwealth of Virginia certification as a Nurse Practitioner required.
- Current approval for prescriptive authority in Virginia; and a valid DEA certificate required.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Two years of experience working as a Nurse Practitioner preferred.
- Must possess excellent problem solving, clinical judgment, systems thinking, and organization skills.
- Must work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of ICD9/10, CPT and HCPCS coding, managed care and must be available for training as necessary.
- Knowledge of Electronic Medical Records (EMR)/Health Electronic Record (HER).
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point, and proficient with clinical search engines to access latest practice guidelines, evolving scientific knowledge, as well as relevant evidence-based medical and nursing literature.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.