Nurse Medical Case Manager, Ryan White
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Clinical Professional (Allied Health)
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-6023
Job Department: 4006951 Ryan White Grant(s)
Job Posted Date: Nov 15, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Medical Case Manager coordinates, monitors and evaluates options and services to meet an individual’s health needs through communication and available resources to promote quality cost-effective outcomes. This position utilizes the case management process to facilitate communication, collaboration and coordination among members of Mary Washington Healthcare, Mary Washington Medical Group (MWMG) Infectious Disease, and community partners within the Rappahannock Health Region to ensure optimal HIV-specific clinical outcomes. Comprehensive case management will promote self-management and independence among people living with HIV (PLWH) who seek services.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Facilitates effective interdisciplinary care planning and coordination for clients seeking comprehensive HIV care through the services of MWMG Infectious Diseases.
- Promotes clinical effectiveness through the identification of process barriers and system issues that may restrict the client's ability to access or participate in his/her care.
- Conducts clinical assessments with the client to assess disease knowledge, readiness for treatment, medical history, socioeconomic concerns, and additional resources needed.
- Collects clinical, socioeconomic and medical data during the clinical intake process specific to each individual client.
- Submits Virginia ADAP & Patient Assistance Programs applications and re-certifications on behalf of MWMG Infectious Diseases in partnership with the client.
- Coordinates with the Ryan White Program Intake Coordinator to ensure that the client is approved to receive services paid for with Ryan White funds.
- Responds to case management consults and referral requests by scheduling specialty appointments for clients who are uninsured, underinsured or by the request of an Infectious Diseases physician.
- Develops a safe and effective plan to meet the patient's health care and social support needs, in conjunction with the patient and clinical team.
- Communicates with community partners within the Rappahannock Health Region to ensure the needs of the patient are being addressed.
- Performs chart audits to ensure compliance with program requirements and to promote successful outcomes during site visits by internal or external groups. Addresses and follows up on chart issues/concerns with the appropriate clinical care team member.
- Participates in the Ryan White Quality Management Program and serves on the Quality Management Committee.
- Participates in monthly case conferencing with the primary nursing team of MWMG Infectious Diseases and community.
- Updates and maintains identified HIV-specific clinical indicators such as screenings, vaccinations and external referrals for mandatory monthly reports using CAREWare.
- Actively participates on the Consumer Advisory & Advocacy Council (CAAC) as the Ryan White Program Chairperson, in partnership with the Consumer Chairperson.
- Attends all Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC) mandatory monthly meetings specific to case management and clinical care either in person, or by phone as a requirement of the Ryan White Program.
- Attends the All Grantees Meeting annually as a Ryan White Program requirement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional functions and responsibilities for the Forensics area of responsibility:
- Support Forensic Nurse Examiner (FNE) Services in providing victims information on available services and completing referrals.
- Assist with Victim Compensation services
- Assist the FNE in care coordination after the victim leaves the Emergency Room
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Nursing or related Human Services field (Psychology, Sociology, etc.) required.
- At least 5 years of medical/clinical experience required.
- Experience with and/or the ability to understand medical terminology and the HIV disease process is required.
- American Heart Association CPR preferred.
- Certification in case management, quality or outcomes management is preferred.
- Experience in an ambulatory/outpatient care setting or in an infectious disease practice is preferred.
- Experience with computer technology preferred (Windows based programs, e-mail, Microsoft Word, keyboarding).
- Demonstrated abilities for self-management, critical thinking, problem resolution, and proven ability to work with diverse personalities and situations.
- Cultural competence and familiarity with the specialized needs of people with HIV, substance abuse and mental health issues.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine