Nurse Manager, MWH-Orthopedics
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Healthcare Leader
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-1712
Job Department: 2001220 MWH-SCC-Orthopedics
Job Posted Date: Dec 28, 2020
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is responsible for managing all day to day activities of the service and supporting the Associates who are providing care. In collaboration with the Director, the Nurse Manager is responsible for leadership and direction in accordance with organizational and departmental philosophy and goals. This position will assist the Director and Nurse Educator/Clinical Nurse Specialist in maintaining the highest degree of clinical and operational performance of the service. This position is accountable for daily operational activities on a 24-hour basis. This position must demonstrate a commitment of quality, cost-effective, customer-focused service to patients, physicians, the public and co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Demonstrates behaviors consistent with the MWHC Leadership Competencies:
- Collaborates with the health care team to develop and implement a schedule and staffing plan. Approves department final schedule.
- Assists the Director in the planning and management of the departmental budget.
- Accountable for the education and orientation plan with the Clinical Nurse Specialist.
- Utilizes the performance improvement process to identify opportunities for improving outcomes in clinical effectiveness, clinical practice, service operations, and standards. Collaborates with the Director and Nurse Educator/Clinical Nurse Specialist to develop and implement improvements accordingly.
- Assists Director and Physician leader in the resolution of customer satisfaction and quality issues.
Listen, Understand, Communicate
- Demonstrates effective communication and problem-solving skills with staff, physicians, and ancillary departments. Provides timely feedback and/or problem resolution. Fosters an environment for providing a customer service culture.
- A minimum of 8 hours per month will be scheduled during off-hour shifts/weekends.
- Collaborates with the Director and Nurse Educator/Clinical Nurse Specialist (where applicable) to facilitate communication (i.e.: staff and team meetings).
- Accountable for staff meetings and department communication (huddles, emails, minutes, communication books, etc). Maintains records of communication to Associates.
- Attends meetings and committees as assigned.
- Participates and mediates in conflict resolution.
Exceeds Partner Needs
- Acts as a resource to physicians and staff by use of clinical rounding and assessing unit operations.
- Collaborates with ancillary departments to ensure availability of equipment and supplies. Identifies new technology available for patient care.
- Performs other related duties as requested.
- Demonstrates active engagement through visibility, accessibility, rounding and open communication.
- Develops action plan for Associate Engagement based on departmental results in collaboration with the department Associates.
Execute and Analyze
- Participates in clinical reviews as needed.
- Possesses knowledge of regulatory requirements related to the service (JCAHO, EMTALA, Virginia State Health Department) and implements mechanisms for compliance.
- The Manager has the primary responsibility for staying current with relevant compliance information and developments and for disseminating this information among his/her staff members. The Manager is also responsible to provide a courtesy copy of the materials shared with staff to the Compliance Officer.
- Responsible for approving biweekly payroll, identifies trends in utilization and takes corrective measures as needed.
- Ensuring monthly budget is reviewed, variances are completed and validated and implements corrective action as needed to include accountability for productivity.
- Accountable for service outcomes. Actively implements Studer tools in department. Maintains logs of rounding on Associates and patients, identifies trends and develops action plan to address issues. Reviews department Associate competencies to ensure they reflect behaviors needed to achieve departmental service goals.
- Accountable for quality outcomes and completion of chart reviews to maintain level of quality. Reviews department Associate competencies to ensure they reflect behaviors needed to achieve departmental quality goals.
- On call for care center in collaboration with other Nurse Managers and Director.
- Responds to requests for departmental reports from partners.
- Reviews departmental reports and addresses issues appropriately.
- Orders/ oversees sign off of department supplies, nourishments, and equipment.
Learn and Improve
- Maintains professional competencies by attending educational programs and participating in professional organizations.
- Keeps/follows through on promises/ commitments, is dependable, consistent, and predictable.
- Learns new job skills/ knowledge quickly and is able to teach others. Incorporates learned skills into job processes
- Incorporates evidence-based research to reduce variance.
- Evaluates and re-evaluates result, documents lessons learned, benchmarks, and integrates with others for system learning.
- Builds collegial relationships and participates in professional organizations.
- Mentors and coaches others.
- Encourages open discussions and creative free thinking.
- Adapts behavior or methods in response to information, changing conditions or obstacles.
Align and Set Expectations
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining staff compliance to performance expectations.
- Collaborates with Director, Nurse Educator/Clinical Nurse Specialist, and PCSs to complete performance reviews of the unit(s) staff.
- Provides coaching, counseling, and mentoring as appropriate.
- Administers Action Plans and Records of Conference for all written, termination and clinical issues in partnership with HR. Pre-approves verbal and attendance-related Records of Conference administered by other members of the leadership team.
- Participates with the Director and Nurse Educator/Clinical Nurse Specialist, and staff in the recruitment, selection, orientation, and retention process.
- Ensures Position Control for department is correct and completes Personnel Action Forms as needed with changes. Provides justification for requisitions based on department performance.
- Encourages and supports staff to participate in a team-based practice and Professional Practice Model for nursing shared governance on the department and in the organization. Empowers Associates to make decisions about quality, cost effective care and customer service.
- Living the Mission is reviewed annually with completion of a SWOT analysis, changes made to the document to support current goals and corrective actions. Conducts Quarterly Performance Reviews with Associates complete with individual scorecards.
Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited school required.
- Masters degree in Nursing (MSN) preferred
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state required.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Professional Nursing Leadership Certification (ANCC or AONL) must be obtained within 3 years of hire date
- Minimum 5 years clinical nursing experience required
- Minimum 2 years management experience required.
- Demonstrates proficiency in verbal and written communication; as well as computerized systems.
- Experience with electronic systems and programs.
- Ability to work in a stressful environment.
- Demonstrates collaboration with physicians, staff and Mary Washington Healthcare Associates.
- Demonstrates the ability to direct individual accomplishments toward organizational objectives.
- Demonstrates professional and positive behavior. Role models the Mission, Vision, and Values of Mary Washington Healthcare.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.