City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-5867
Job Department: 2001102 MWH-Nursing Ctr of Excellence
Job Posted Date: Oct 26, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Nurse Educator participates in the design, implementation, and evaluation of educational programs that improve the delivery of high quality, comprehensive, safe, individualized patient/family-centered care. The Nurse Educator implements clinical learning and professional development. The Nurse Educator demonstrates a knowledge base that includes utilization of a variety of teaching strategies, assessment, and evaluation methods. The Nurse Educator promotes personal accountability for professional development that supports the autonomy and accountability of Mary Washington Healthcare (MWHC) Nursing.
This position will report directly to the Manager of Clinical Excellence or Nurse Manager.
This position must demonstrate a commitment of quality service to our patients, community, and Associates, and must support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of MWHC.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Supports MWHC mission and goals by working with clinical leaders at strategic and organization wide levels to identify solutions to clinical care delivery;
- Collaborates to produce desired outcomes relevant to organizational needs, priorities, and initiatives
- Incorporates patient safety into all applicable programs
- Supports retention of staff through active participation in activities designed to make MWHC an employer of choice
- Participates on-boarding process for new staff to meet clinical and operational needs. Participates in interviews as time allows.
- Incorporates Watson’s and Benner’s theories into all activities to promote clinical knowledge development and evidence-based nursing practice.
- Adheres to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state, and federal agencies and accrediting bodies.
- Assesses educational and professional development needs
- Makes direct observation of the delivery of care as part of the ongoing needs assessment
- Identifies educational needs and forecast trends affecting educational needs
- Differentiates educational need from system issues.
- Develops and utilizes multiple methods of communication to exchange information with the health care team. (CT)
- Utilizes performance data and needs assessments to coordinate and facilitate education using a team approach
- Maintains knowledge of new and current procedures. Facilitates development of new policies, procedures and standards of care.
- Serve as a resource to nurses, physicians, and other health care members in provision of the most current evidence-based practice and information.
- Possess knowledge of regulatory requirements (The Joint Commission, Virginia Department of Health, and licensure) and implements mechanism for compliance.
- Plans and implements educational offerings to meet identified needs for educational and professional development
- Plans and presents educational offerings
- Develops educational curricula
- Supports inter-professional education
- Develops educational plan for staff with specific learning needs
- Conducts annual staff skill validation
- Collaborates with the CNS to develop the orientation program, preceptor team, CBOT development, and residency program that is responsible for maintaining Nursing excellence and consistent unit orientation.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to cost containment measures and creates an atmosphere that encourages this practice by conserving hospital supplies, equipment, and human resources.
- Contributes to the planning and management of department budgets as related to educational needs
- Utilizes innovative educational methodologies including online learning tools
- Adjusts content and teaching strategy based on learner knowledge and expertise
- Promotes critical thinking and problem solving
- Collaborates with Nursing leadership and staff in development and implementation of educational programs
- Evaluates educational programs in terms of their impact on the learner, patient and organization.
- Develops and reviews program evaluations and reviews outcomes related to educational offerings
- Follows up with Nursing leaders to determine if operational goals were met
- Maintains staff compliance to performance expectations and contributes feedback during 90day, quarterly and annual performance reviews
- Demonstrates a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development
- Models behavior that reflects continued personal and professional growth
- Participates in learning activities to meet own goals and development needs.
- Demonstrates a commitment to and assumes accountability of own professional development and clinical competency.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state required.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited school required, Master's degree in Nursing (MSN) preferred.
- Previous experience with education or related experience desired.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Other clinical competencies based on area of concentration
- Certified in Nursing Professional Development within 3 years.
- Scheduling flexibility to meet the educational goals. May include evenings and nights or weekend hours.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills: communication, collaboration and conflict resolution.
- Minimum of 3 years clinical experience in specialty area required.
- Proficient with electronic systems and programs (Microsoft Office products, Online Learning tools)
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine