Nuclear Medicine Technologist-PRN
City/State: Stafford, Virginia
Category: Clinical Professional (Allied Health)
Position Hours: 4Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-5526
Job Department: 2504308 SH-Nuclear Medicine
Job Posted Date: Feb 24, 2022
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable to prepare patients and radiopharmaceuticals and to perform routine nuclear medicine procedures in accordance with physicians’ orders and the procedure manual. The Nuclear Medicine Technologist produces high quality images and prepares/presents them with appropriate comparison studies and other exam results or pertinent patient information to the Radiologist for timely interpretation. Additionally, the Nuclear Medicine Technologist supports the mission, vision, values, and strategic initiatives of MWHC Health System and demonstrates a commitment of quality service to our patients and their families, the community, the physicians, and our Associates.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Prepares patients for nuclear medicine examinations by confirming physicians’ orders, verifying patients’ identities, and obtaining adequate medical histories to ensure the appropriateness of examinations and facilitate timely accurate diagnosis of the patient.
- Performs nuclear medicine examinations/procedures on all patient age groups and maintains clinical competency as evidenced by completion of an annual Competency Based Orientation Tool for Clinical Associates in Nuclear Medicine. Adheres to departmental policies, procedures, standards, and protocols to ensure effective departmental operations and quality patient care. Demonstrates a high degree of knowledge and understanding of nuclear medicine services/activities.
- Maintains a safe environment for patients, personnel, and visitors by requiring and supporting the establishment, maintenance, and education of an effective safety management program. Disposes of sharps and contaminated supplies/materials in a manner consistent with infection control and nuclear regulatory standards. Adheres to radiation safety practices for patients, personnel, and self including principles of time, distance, and shielding where possible.
- Maintains complete and accurate records of radiopharmaceuticals administered, received, or disposed of on a daily basis. Performs quality control on nuclear medicine/hot lab equipment as required and daily radiation surveys of hot lab/exam rooms to ensure safety and quality of services provided.
- Effectively interacts with students, consistently providing supervision and instruction. Is supportive of the MWH School of Radiologic Technology and the Radiology cross-training program.
- Monitors and maintains an adequate inventory of supplies and materials to ensure their continued availability and non-interruption of services.
- Reports, records, and files patient and procedural data in order to accurately document department operations and facilitate timely accurate billing for services.
- Participates in Performance Improvement activities for the Nuclear Medicine Section utilizing the FOCUS PDCA (Plan, Do, Check, Act) approach to improvement.
- Maintains authority to administer radiopharmaceuticals/contrast agents and follows established guidelines for the appropriate selection/administration of all radiopharmaceuticals/agents used.
- CNMT or ARRT registered or registry-eligible in Nuclear Medicine Technology. (If registry-eligible at time of hire, must pass registry examination within one year of hire date.)
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required
- Completion of accredited two-year program in Nuclear Medicine Technology or equivalent.
- Three years relevant experience preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine