Metabolic and Bariatric Program Coordinator, FT
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-756
Job Department: 2001102 MWH-Nursing Ctr of Excellence
Job Posted Date: Oct 16, 2020
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The MBS Coordinator/Clinical Reviewer is a licensed or registered healthcare professional that functions in a non-patient care capacity; serving as a liaison between MWHC and the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). This position will be responsible for timely and accurate data entry into the MBSAQIP Registry for quality improvement; as well as monitoring of patient safety, assisting with staff, patient and community education, promoting and maintaining quality service, research, and program outcomes, and community awareness of the Bariatric Surgery program at Mary Washington Healthcare.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Fulfills case abstraction duties, completes ongoing training and recertification requirements, retrieves and enters long-term follow up data on all patients, and fulfills requests for outcomes data and reports from the MBS Committee and other appropriate personnel. Ensures timely submission of outcomes data to MBSAQIP. Complies with all accreditation data review requests and inter-cycle reviews.
- Develops and implements tools needed to track outcomes and complete statistical data analysis related to initiatives. Ensures correct and timely submission of outcomes data to MBSAQIP.
- Chairs the monthly MBS Committee and the comprehensive annual review meetings.
- Facilitates all applications for and maintenance of certifications/accreditations and serves as liaison between MWHC and the MBSAQIP and other accrediting bodies, ensuring continuous compliance with MBSAQIP Standards. Actively participates in each MBSAQIP and other accrediting body site visits.
- Assists and works directly with the MBS Director; as well as nursing leadership and staff in program development to include developing/maintaining relevant, evidence-based pathways and protocols, patient education, and the education of relevant staff with a focus on metabolic and bariatric patient safety.
- Supports the development of written protocols and education of nursing staff detailing the rapid communication and basic response to critical patient findings that are specifically required to minimize delays in the diagnosis and treatment of serious adverse events.
- Serves as the liaison between the facility and all metabolic and bariatric proceduralists at the center and any general surgeons providing call coverage.
- Assists in maintaining the documentation of the call schedule provided by all covering surgeons, as well as providing access to the call schedule to all departments of the facility that provide care for metabolic and bariatric patients.
- Works closely with the center and clinicians to ensure that appropriate short term and long term data elements are available in the medical records utilizing data and information systems at both the center and the physicians' offices.
- Organizes promotional activities in collaboration with bariatric physicians and nursing leadership to increase public and medical staff awareness of Bariatric Program. Interfaces with physicians to promote quality services, implement education initiatives, and accomplish organizational goals. Participates in patient support groups in collaboration with the bariatric physician practice. Coordinates research grants and trials, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing required.
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse from the Commonwealth of Virginia required.
- Completion of initial training for MBS Clinical Reviewer within six months of hire and maintenance of annual certification required.
- Certified Bariatric Nurse (CBN) from the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery preferred at hire; CBN required within five (5) years.
- Clinical knowledge of Bariatric surgery, Operating Room, PACU or post-surgical experience strongly preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.