Medical Technologist/MLT - Laboratory (Phlebotomy) Supervisor
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Clinical Professional (Allied Health)
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-4928
Job Department: 2004250 MWH-Pathology
Job Posted Date: Aug 23, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable to manage the daily activities of the phlebotomy team to ensure timely patient testing and reports aiding the physicians in the diagnosis and provision of quality patient care. The incumbent in this position will support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of Mary Washington Healthcare and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public and co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Supervises the daily activities of the phlebotomy staff ensuring adequate staffing on all shifts; this includes monitoring turn around time.
- Responds and assists in the correction of patient issues or concerns.
- Serves as a liaison and resource to the technical laboratory Associates in problem solving activities related to specimen collection, processing, reporting, and turn around time.
- Responsible for ordering supplies needed for the operation of the phlebotomy department.
- Performs leadership/supervisory functions in support of departmental and hospital goals.
- Evaluates new procedures, technology, or safety devices to maintain state of the art laboratory performance and capability, monitoring opportunities for increased efficiency and cost containment.
- Collaboratively develops and implements technical orientation programs for new associates and coordinates continuing education to ensure quality associate development.
- Prepares work schedules for all phlebotomy shifts including student internship schedules.
- Ensures all standard operating procedures and practices adhere to federal and regulatory agency standards (CLIA, CAP, AABB, and JCAHO). Works collaboratively with the laboratory management team on the collection of quality assurance data (Press Ganey and Q-Tracks) and the identification of opportunities for improvement (FOCUS – PDCA).
- Participates in collaborative hospital teams to improve quality and service.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate's Degree as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT), or Bachelor's Degree as a Medical Technologist (MT). If MLT, must complete MT program or be eligible to sit for MT exam within 4 years.
- ASCP certification as a Medical Technologist or Medical Laboratory Scientist required or eligible or NCA certification as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist required or eligible.
- Four years Medical Technologist or six years Medical Laboratory Technician experience required.
- Minimum two years of relevant supervisory experience required or in a position that has demonstrated increasing responsibility in project or team leadership.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine