Medical Director, Specialty Practices
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-4041
Job Department: 1007230 MWHC-Physician Services
Job Posted Date: Sep 10, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Specialty Service Line of MWMG will consist of those practices and clinicians primarily engaged in the provision of patient care and services in the medical specialties of Dermatology, Rheumatology, Endocrinology, Neurology, Radiation Oncology, Maternal-Fetal Medicine and Sleep Medicine as well as Obstetrics-Gynecology. Additionally, oversight will be provided for the contracted services of Spine and Rehabilitation, Gastroenterology and Cardiology. The management and goals of this service line will align significantly with those of the administration of Mary Washington and Stafford Hospitals, and will require full partnership with those stakeholders.
With an emphasis on improving operational efficiencies, cost containment, and care that is appropriate and highest quality, the Specialty Service Line Medical Director will be expected to interact frequently and effectively with health system accounting, revenue cycle, and data management teams as well as primary care, surgical, hospital, and population health leadership. Additionally, this service line will be engaged with partners in supply chain, property management, anesthesia, and nursing. The long-term vision will be management of the conditions necessary for optimal specialty care including internal staff performance and factors external to the Medical Group, and driving the strategic growth of specialty services offered.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
• Provide clinical leadership and vision for the Service Line to define MWMG as One Practice with a culture of Ownership practicing Selfless Service
• Promote the Mary Washington Health System iCare values in all functions and among all providers (physicians and APP’s)
• Promote safety principles of High Reliability in all practice functions, whether clinical or operational
This position is anticipated to be 20% administrative and 80% clinical.
Human Resources/Internal Control
• In all functions, partner with the operational Service Line Manager to form a cohesive team at all levels that seamlessly incorporates clinical and business needs
• Partner with Service Line Managers, Lead Clinicians, Senior Medical Director and other stakeholders to promote clinical staff engagement in rounding and other programs aimed at promoting Patient Experience
• Supervise the physicians and APP’s and establish systems of accountability with regard to productivity, Service Line goals, professional performance, and interactions with other Associates or clinicians
• Assist Senior Leadership and HR with recruitment and on-boarding of qualified new providers, including participation as appropriate in interviewing, orienting, and training
• Maintain confidentiality of all interventions related to provider and Associate issues
• Work with the operational Service Line Manager and Regulatory Affairs to ensure all clinical practices and operations are in compliance with all regulatory and licensing agencies
• Provide clinical/medical expertise in interactions with vendors and other external customers
• Develop clinical quality goals for the practices annually in partnership with the Senior Medical Director and other key stakeholders
• Partner with the key Department Chiefs of MWH and SH to review and reduce care variation and implement protocols and systems designed to promote best medical practices in the most cost-effective manner
• Work with the Service Line Manager to develop, oversee, and regularly review the budget and financial performance of the service line, providing guidance regarding clinical needs
• Collaborate with revenue cycle and finance to ensure all billing and coding is appropriate and accurate
• Drive performance and process-based management systems in order to achieve Service Line goals determined annually in partnership with MWMG Senior Leadership and derived from organizational goals
• Collaborate with the Service Line Manager as well as other key partners and Senior Leadership over development of new services, tactics, initiatives and/or policies needed to promote or achieve organizational goals
• Promote and support educational activities involving the service line including the APP Post-Graduate Fellowship program, medical, APP, and nurse student teaching, and resident physician training
• Lead the Specialty Advisory Council of providers in review of service line activities and strategic plans as well as provider concerns and needs
As necessary and appropriate, provide services as a clinically active physician providing patient services in the area of expertise
- Completion of a medical degree (MD/DO) and residency and fellowship training in an appropriate specialty from an AMA-approved program or other institution approved by the Medical Staff and Board of MWHC.
- Certification by an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) board in the physician’s primary specialty.
- At least 2-5 years of experience in leadership or administrative positions in healthcare, with in-depth knowledge of the healthcare industry including finance, legislative policy, economics, service delivery, and trends in the insurance and consumer markets.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills with an ability to engage constructively with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to recognize the complex needs of multiple customers and proactively recognize and address those needs.
- At least 2-3 years of experience with an integrated electronic medical record.
- Graduate education in health policy and management, business administration, or other similar program considered strongly beneficial.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine