Medical Director, Primary Care
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-4039
Job Department: 1007230 MWHC-Physician Services
Job Posted Date: Jun 29, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Primary Care Service Line of MWMG will consist of those practices and clinicians primarily engaged in the provision of adult and pediatric primary care. The management and goals of this service line will align significantly with those of the administration of Mary Washington and Stafford Hospitals, as well as the Mary Washington Health Alliance and Mary Washington Medicare Advantage program, and will require full partnership with those stakeholders.
With an emphasis on improving operational efficiencies, cost containment, and care that is appropriate and highest quality, the Primary Care Service Line Medical Director will be expected to interact frequently and effectively with health system accounting, revenue cycle, and data management teams as well as specialty, surgical, and hospital service line leadership. Additionally, this service line will be engaged with partners in supply chain, property management, medical education, laboratory, and nursing. As the leader of Population Health programs within the Medical Group, this Medical Director will also work regularly with the ACO and Medicare Advantage teams. The long-term vision will be management of the conditions necessary for optimal primary care and population health including internal staff performance and factors external to the Medical Group, and driving the strategic growth of and access to primary care services offered.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Provide clinical leadership and vision for the Service Line to define MWMG as One Practice with a culture of Ownership practicing Selfless Service
- Promote the Mary Washington Health System iCare values in all functions and among all providers (physicians and APP’s)
- Promote safety principles of High Reliability in all practice functions, whether clinical or operational
This position is anticipated to be 40% administrative and 60% clinical.
Human Resources/Internal Control
- In all functions, partner with the operational Service Line Manager to form a cohesive team at all levels that seamlessly incorporates clinical and business needs
- Partner with Service Line Managers, Lead Clinicians, Senior Medical Director and other stakeholders to promote clinical staff engagement in rounding and other programs aimed at promoting Patient Experience
- Supervise the physicians and APP’s and establish systems of accountability with regard to productivity, Service Line goals, professional performance, and interactions with other Associates or clinicians
- Assist Senior Leadership and HR with recruitment and on-boarding of qualified new providers, including participation as appropriate in interviewing, orienting, and training
- Maintain confidentiality of all interventions related to provider and Associate issues
- Work with the operational Service Line Manager and Regulatory Affairs to ensure all clinical practices and operations are in compliance with all regulatory and licensing agencies
- Provide clinical/medical expertise in interactions with vendors and other external customers
- Develop clinical quality goals for the practices annually in partnership with the Senior Medical Director and other key stakeholders
- Partner with the Senior Medical Director to review and reduce care variation and implement protocols and systems designed to promote best medical practices in the most cost-effective manner
- Lead work-groups such as those for AWV and EPIC Quality Reporting designed to find best practices and consistency across all locations in optimizing the scale of the group and the tools available in the EMR
- Partner with the leadership of the Accountable Care Organization to improve performance in closing “care gaps” and various other quality metrics for affiliated payors, including the Mary Washington Medicare Advantage plan
- Work with the Service Line Manager to develop, oversee, and regularly review the budget and financial performance of the service line, providing guidance regarding clinical needs
- Collaborate with revenue cycle and finance to ensure all billing and coding is appropriate and accurate
- Drive performance and process-based management systems in order to achieve Service Line goals determined annually in partnership with MWMG Senior Leadership and derived from organizational goals
- Collaborate with the Service Line Manager as well as other key partners and Senior Leadership over development of new services, tactics, initiatives and/or policies needed to promote or achieve organizational goals
- Promote and support educational activities involving the service line including the APP Post-Graduate Fellowship program, medical, APP, and nurse student teaching, and resident physician training
- Lead the Primary Care Advisory Council of providers in review of service line activities and strategic plans as well as provider concerns and needs
- As necessary and appropriate, provide services as a clinically active physician providing patient services in the area of expertise
- Completion of a medical degree (MD/DO) and residency and fellowship training in a primary care specialty from an AMA-approved program or other institution approved by the Medical Staff and Board of MWHC.
- Certification by an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) board in the physician’s primary specialty.
- At least 2-5 years of experience in leadership or administrative positions in healthcare, with in-depth knowledge of the healthcare industry including finance, legislative policy, economics, service delivery, and trends in the insurance and consumer markets.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills with an ability to engage constructively with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to recognize the complex needs of multiple customers and proactively recognize and address those needs.
- At least 2-3 years of experience with an integrated electronic medical record.
- Graduate education in health policy and management, business administration, or other similar program considered strongly beneficial.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.