Medical Billing Specialist
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-6081
Job Department: 1007017 MWHC-Professional Billing
Job Posted Date: Dec 02, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Medical Billing Specialist is responsible for processing all third-party primary and secondary insurance claims for ancillary professional services. The incumbent in this position performs insurance billing, account follow-up, and collections on all outstanding balances.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Reviews third party payer work queues to locate accounts for billing. Resolves edits related to billing within established Epic charge review and claim edit work queues to ensure claims are billed accurately.
- Submits claims to the clearing house, reconciles submitted claims, identifies those that rejected, and addresses any remaining issues with submission.
- Resolves claims denials as they appear.
- Researches/refunds/resolves insurance credit balances.
- Identifies, analyzes, and escalates trends impacting AR reimbursement.
- Contacts third party payors and patients to expedite and maximize payment of insurance medical claims.
- Identifies claims processing issues and notifies leadership to avoid further delay in claims processing.
- Collaborates with management to reduce aging of accounts by providing verbal and written communication.
- Documents clear, concise, and complete follow up notes in system for each account worked. Visually proofreads and monitors work output to ensure accounts are completed.
- Remains current on collection procedures of various payors and specialty departments.
- Participates in educational activities and attends team meetings. Assists with knowledge sharing, payor and department training, and provides support to other team members. Supports department coverage plans as directed by leadership (vacation, leave of absence, etc.).
- Demonstrates expertise of all payors, including Medicare, Medicaid and commercial payors, and applicable department’s revenue cycle operations. Ensures protection of private health and personal information. Adheres to all HIPAA and PCIO compliance regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum of 2 years’ billing experience required, preferably in a multi-specialty physician practice.
- Knowledge of professional CPT and diagnosis codes preferred.
- Certified Revenue Cycle Specialist (CRCS-I) or related industry certification preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine