City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-2486
Job Department: 4906032 MWMG-Spine & Rehabilitation
Job Posted Date: Feb 23, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Medical Assistant controls patient flow for providers, obtains and documents patient vitals, and performs other patient care and clerical duties. The incumbent in this position will support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of Mary Washington Healthcare and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public and co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Greets and escorts patients to exam room in a timely and courteous manner.
- Reviews patient chart to ensure all reports and results required by provider are available prior to exam/treatment. Obtains reports and results as required.
- Obtains and documents patient chief complaint.
- Obtains and documents patient vitals (i.e., height, weight, BP).
- Ensures exam/procedure room is appropriately supplied and set up to accommodate encounter based upon reason for patient visit.
- Reviews patient-supplied history forms for completeness. Queries to obtain missing information within parameters established by supervising provider.
- Assists providers with examinations, diagnostic procedures, and treatments.
- Draws blood and/or assists in obtaining other specimens. Prepares and routes specimen(s) to laboratories; utilizing in-house services whenever appropriate; following verification of patients’ insurance.
- Documents all activities/interventions, patient/family responses, medication prescribed, etc., in the medical record.
- Communicates with patients regarding provider advice/instructions within scope of training.
- Adheres to infection control/safety guidelines, and confidentiality policies.
- Phones in prescriptions to pharmacies based upon provider’s written orders.
- Provides results and other information to patients as specifically directed by provider.
- Assists patient with the scheduling of future appointments, surgeries, and/or diagnostic testing, as necessary.
- The Medical Assistant is not authorized to interpret reports or results or independently dispense medical advice to patients.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Medical Assisting Certification or three years’ experience as a Medical Assistant (eq. Army Medic, Navy Corpsman) required. All non-certified Medical Assistants will be required to obtain their certification within 12 months of hire.
- American Heart Association CPR certification required.
- Proficiency in basic clinical skills as required by specialty (i.e. phlebotomy, blood pressure, EKG, injections) required.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures related to infection control, environmental safety, and patient confidentiality required.
- Minimum of 2 years’ prior experience providing clinical support in a medical office setting preferred.
- Electronic Medical Records experience preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.