Manager, Decision Support
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Healthcare Leader
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-4787
Job Department: 1007010 MWHC-Financial Operations
Job Posted Date: Aug 13, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Manager, Decision Support oversees all daily operations and functions of the department. The incumbent requires an in-depth knowledge of business systems, data warehousing, data collection and reporting. The incumbent in this role is responsible for leading the forecasting, budgeting process, and financial analysis within Mary Washington Healthcare. This role will partner with leaders across the organization to contribute to financial planning efforts and influence positive decision making.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Manages day to day operations of the Decision Support staff, who are responsible for cost accounting analysis, financial analysis, and reporting.
- Serves as a key contributor of high-performing FP&A organization that oversees and develops the organization's annual operating budget, forecasts, and supports long-term strategic, program plans.
- Prepares and presents executive level management reports including variance analysis against plan/budget.
- Participates with the Director in the recruitment, selection, orientation, and retention process for Associates.
- Leads budgeting, forecasting and KPI development, as well as analysis and reporting for one or more departments within the organization.
- Responsible for directing workflow, coaching, mentoring, counseling, retention, and performance evaluation of Associates.
- Serves as the decision support analytics subject matter expert in the development and implementation of dashboards and reports to support key clinical and operational initiatives.
- Maintains key relationships with leadership and other stakeholders to proactively identify and communicate performance and continuous improvement opportunities for quality improvement and clinical effectiveness.
- Collaborates with business leaders for designated areas and oversees the production of annual and quarterly operating forecasts, budgets, and corresponding analysis of trends in revenue, expense, capital expenditures, and related areas
- Develops, implements, and monitors departmental organizational and operational policies and procedures to ensure the effectiveness.
- Identifies, recommends, and implements opportunities for improvement.
- Oversees the ongoing sourcing, assessment, defining, and maintenance of business data to ensure integrity, quality, validity, and overall applicability to the identification, analysis, and interpretation of ongoing trends or patterns in complex data sets for specified projects.
- Provides guidance on opportunities to enhance analytic capabilities with a particular focus on the ability to measure, benchmark, and track value metrics.
- Leads the design, implementation, and maintenance of analytical processes and reports supporting Mary Washington Healthcare’s performance.
- Manages the utilization of measurement tools, statistical methods, and benchmark comparisons to determine and analyze outcome measures in support of organizational goals.
- Partners with leadership and process owners to define key metrics and analytic needs for implementation, including dashboards, scorecards, and overall reporting solutions.
- Implements special initiatives to support reporting and analytics.
- Coordinates operations of the Strata Decision Support (SDS) System, including budget, management reporting, clinical analysis, and cost accounting.
- Communicates and manages the implementation of maintenance releases and upgrades to the SDS system.
- Manages the maintenance and utilization of the cost accounting module of the PDS system.
- Analyzes, assesses, and implements cost accounting rules utilizing appropriate methodologies to accurately capture and maintain procedural costs for Medical Center operations.
- Drives the annual budget and long-term planning process.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Hospital Administration, Data Analysis, Business/Public Administration, or Health required.
- MBA, CPA, or Master’s degree in Finance, preferred.
- Seven years of progressively responsible experience in financial planning, financial systems, financial analysis or budgeting required.
- Decision support background preferred.
- Experience supervising, monitoring daily work activities, evaluating, training and motivating the performance of subordinate technical, professional and clerical support staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of spreadsheet and database software and graphic/specialty and other finance related software programs, as well as technical knowledge of computer hardware and software components.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills are necessary in dealing with a variety of healthcare and finance professionals including Senior Management staff.
- Excellent organization and problem-solving skills and team leadership skills are required to develop and implement efficient work processes.
- Ability to assess and evaluate complex financial data via use of computer analysis.
- Ability to tactfully motivate and guide Senior Management, Vice Presidents, Administrators, Directors, Department Managers, and co-workers while maintaining required degree of confidentiality and purpose.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine