Lead Technician, Endoscopy, FT, Days
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 36Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-578
Job Department: 2004030 MWH-Endoscopy Suite
Job Posted Date: Oct 12, 2020
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Under the direction and supervision of the Specialty Coordinator/Registered Nurse, the Endoscopy Technician assists with the coordination of nursing care of the patient in the Endoscopy department and functions as a member of the health care team. The Endoscopy Technician is familiar with gastrointestinal and pulmonary diseases and assists during endoscopic procedures. They interact with patients, prepare the room and the equipment, provide support to physicians and nurses while the procedure is underway, handle specimens collected, and prepare, maintain and reprocess equipment.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Completes tasks as delegated by RN within defined role functions and documented competency.
- Assists in data collection to identify the patient's needs, problems, concerns or human responses (e.g., vital signs).
- Implements, prioritizes, and communicates safe therapeutic care for patient throughout the patient’s Endoscopy experience.
- Assists, under the direction of the GI Registered Nurse, in the implementation of the established plan of care.
- Communicates changes in patient status as appropriate.
- Performs safety checks to verify proper equipment functioning.
- Prepares suites or rooms according to endoscopic procedure requirements.
- Assists the physician and GI Registered Nurse before, during, and after diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- Is knowledgeable about Saline, India Ink, Omni Paq on the sterile/procedural field and verifies all labeled medications with the RN.
- Administration via the endoscope of medications (ONLY saline, India Ink, Omnipaque) during a procedure at the direction and under the direct supervision of the physician.
- Reprocesses and maintains equipment according to standards of infection control, policies/procedures and manufacturers’ instructions.
- Provides and maintains a healthy and safe environment for the patient and staff by complying with regulatory agency requirements and standards set forth by professional organizations and institutional policies.
- Acknowledges the diversity of patients.
- Participates in lifelong learning (e.g., continuing education).
- Maintains knowledge of current practice issues related to the field of gastroenterology.
- Complies with legal and practice standards inherent in patient care (e.g., patient's bill of rights).
- Participates in performance improvement activities as directed.
- Collaborates with the interprofessional team to ensure quality and continuity of care.
- Communicates effectively with patient and interprofessional team to ensure quality and continuity of care.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Responsibilities for Lead Endoscopy Technician:
- Oversees daily operation of the shift for other Endoscopy Technicians.
- Implements new processes to improve delivery of services.
- Provides feedback to leadership regarding work and team member performance. Provides coaching and mentoring as needed.
- Coordinates training, orientation & precepting of new Endoscopy Technicians. Coordinates and develops staff in-services and training on new procedures and equipment for various endoscopic procedures.
- Maintains inventories of endoscopic equipment and supplies. Notifies leadership of supply ordering needs, specifically for ERCP and EUS supplies.
- High School graduate or equivalent required; Certified Nursing Assistant, military, or vocational training program preferred.
- BLS certification required.
- Healthcare experience required.
- Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates (SGNA) certification required within 6 months of hire.
- Minimum of 1 year endoscopy experience required for PRN.
Additional Qualifications for Lead Endoscopy Technician:
- Minimum of 3 years of clinical experience in Endoscopy Technician role required.
- Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates (SGNA) Advanced Associates Program certification required within 6 months of hire.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.