Lactation Consultant-PRN Days/Evenings
City/State: Stafford, Virginia
Position Hours: 4Apply
Position Shift: Day/Evening (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-1684
Job Department: 2501420 Sh-Wccc-Ldrp
Job Posted Date: Jan 25, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The clinical practice of the Lactation Consultant focuses on helping breast-feeding women and families define and achieve their breast-feeding goals. This is best accomplished within the framework of systematic problem solving in cooperation with the client. The incumbent in this position will support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of Mary Washington Healthcare and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public and co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation and documentation of care in a variety of situations, both simple and complex.
- Prevention of problems whenever possible by acting to enhance the knowledge and strengths of the breast-feeding woman and her support system.
- Establishment of priorities based on the individual needs of each breast-feeding mother, infant, child and family.
- Demonstration of competence in lactation consultant practice.
- Complete, accurate and timely documentation of care.
- Communication and collaboration with other health care professionals to provide consistent care during the client’s hospitalization.
- Visits postpartum breastfeeding clients for assessment of needs and plan of care.
- Provides consultation to breastfeeding mothers of infants admitted to pediatrics.
- Designs a plan of care for women who have complex lactation issues.
- Assists in managing and cleaning breast pump inventory.
- Collaborates with nurses and neonatologists to manage lactation in the NICU.
- Contributes to current continuing education on issues related to lactation for nursing Associates.
- Acts in role of preceptor for new nurses.
- Provides follow-up care for discharged clients who are in need of further support.
- Provides information on support services after discharge.
- Offers and conducts outpatient consults as needed.
- Serves as resource/consultant for lactation in other clinical areas of hospital.
- Teaches prenatal breastfeeding classes to the community.
- Actively participates on the lactation committee.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant required. May consider applicant who is enrolled in course preparing to take certification exam within one year or has taken the exam and is waiting for results.
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state required.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- 1-2 years experience in postpartum or couplet care in hospital or comparable experience.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.