City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-221
Job Department: 2004250 MWH-Pathology
Job Posted Date: Sep 25, 2020
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Laboratory Assistant is responsible for assisting in the procurement, testing, and processing of laboratory specimens. The Laboratory Assistant provides data entry, supply inventory, and customer service support to facilitate specimen processing and result entry. The primary responsibilities for this position will vary by department and may include any or a combination of all) of the following:
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Enters and verifies test requests accurately and efficiently.
- Obtains, enters and verifies patient information accurately and efficiently.
- Assists with specimen storage, retrieval and disposal following standard precautions to abide by all regulatory policies and procedures.
- Performs technical duties to include: a) collects Fine Needle Aspirations; b) processes specimens according to test requirements; c) prepares Bone Marrow smears; d) prepares slide processing; e) performs instrument maintenance; f) prepares slide staining; g) performs thermometer calibration; h) performs plating specimens for Microbiology on various medias
- Prepares samples for appropriate transport to reference laboratory. Generates and reviews pending logs for outstanding specimen processing.
- Provides telephone support for notification of non-critical laboratory test values. Faxes and prints reports as needed.
- Assists staff with inventory management; rotates and restocks reagents and supplies as needed.
- Takes daily temperatures of laboratory refrigerators, freezers, and incubators as required. Performs required daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance and function checks as required for eyewash station, safety shower, plasma thawer, etc.
- Supports Department Supervisor with various projects and tasks as needed.
- Understands the complexities of specimen integrity and makes first line decisions regarding specimen acceptability.
- Properly washes and disinfects laboratory equipment and materials.
- Tracks and receives batches of specimens arriving from off-site locations assuring that each specimen is accounted for and adequate for testing.
- Operates and maintains operation of high volume centrifuges to include daily and weekly maintenance and disinfection as needed.
- Troubleshoots and documents specimen integrity issues and patient orders.
- Assists with the front phlebotomy desk duties as needed to include: answering the phones, coordination of stat orders with notification to the appropriate phlebotomist, answering of the pneumatic tube station and receiving of specimens into the lab system.
- Assists the Supervisor in the training of new staff regarding lab assistant and specimen processing duties.
- Monitors the performance of the automated track system in Chemistry and alerts techs when an issue arises and/or action is needed.
- Compares vendor invoices against inventory receipt to check for accuracy/errors in billing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent required.
- Two years of previous clinical laboratory experience required or B.S. degree in a Biological Sciences.
- Basic computer skills required and previous experience with Microsoft Office preferred.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess excellent customer service and problem-solving skills.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.