Histology Technician, FT, Days
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Clinical Professional (Allied Health)
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-3883
Job Department: 2004250 MWH-Pathology
Job Posted Date: Jun 25, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable to produce quality diagnostic slides in a timely, accurate manner to facilitate diagnosis by Pathologists. The incumbent in this position will support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of MWHC and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public and co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Prepares blocks of tissue for slide mounting in order to facilitate diagnosis.
- Accessions specimens into the laboratory information system.
- Performs all histochemical and immunohistochemical stains proficiently.
- Prepares specimens for processing and perform quality control on a daily basis.
- Assists on bone marrow procedures.
- In a professional manner, interfaces with physicians, hospital departments and other professionals regarding test results, concerns and analyses.
- Assists department supervisor with evaluation of new instrumentation and procedures to maintain state-of-the-art technology.
- Assists with implementation of training and orientation programs for new Associates, as well as ensures own competencies by participating in all educational in-services and monthly proficiency testing.
- Monitors equipment and supplies in order to maintain adequate inventory levels to ensure continuous operation.
- As needed, assists with autopsy preparation performance and clean up.
- Maintains chemical inventory. Assists with specimen grossing as needed.
- Accurately files slides and blocks and prepares routine reagents in compliance with universal precautions.
- Processes phone requests and questions in order to provide timely, effective laboratory information services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree.
- One to two years relevant experience preferred.
- HTL Certification (ASCP) required.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine