Histology Technician, FT, Days
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Clinical Professional (Allied Health)
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-3883
Job Department: 2004250 MWH-Pathology
Job Posted Date: Jun 25, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable to produce quality diagnostic slides in a timely, accurate manner to facilitate diagnosis by Pathologists. The incumbent in this position will support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of MWHC and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public and co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Prepares blocks of tissue for slide mounting in order to facilitate diagnosis.
- Accessions specimens into the laboratory information system.
- Performs all histochemical and immunohistochemical stains proficiently.
- Prepares specimens for processing and perform quality control on a daily basis.
- Assists on bone marrow procedures.
- In a professional manner, interfaces with physicians, hospital departments and other professionals regarding test results, concerns and analyses.
- Assists department supervisor with evaluation of new instrumentation and procedures to maintain state-of-the-art technology.
- Assists with implementation of training and orientation programs for new Associates, as well as ensures own competencies by participating in all educational in-services and monthly proficiency testing.
- Monitors equipment and supplies in order to maintain adequate inventory levels to ensure continuous operation.
- As needed, assists with autopsy preparation performance and clean up.
- Maintains chemical inventory. Assists with specimen grossing as needed.
- Accurately files slides and blocks and prepares routine reagents in compliance with universal precautions.
- Processes phone requests and questions in order to provide timely, effective laboratory information services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree.
- One to two years relevant experience preferred.
- HTL Certification (ASCP) required.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.