Health Unit Coordinator-Emergency Department-Full Time-Days/Evenings
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day/Evening (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-5130
Job Department: 2001501 MWH-Emergency Dept.
Job Posted Date: Sep 01, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Performs clerical, communication, and other related duties to facilitate the efficient functioning of Care Center services. All duties to be performed in collaboration with team members. Duties and responsibilities are performed according to standards outlined in competency based/evaluation tool. The Health Unit Coordinator must demonstrate a commitment of quality service to our patients, physicians the public and our Associates. Must demonstrate commitment to Vision, Mission and Values of Mary Washington Healthcare.
0700 – 1900
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates ability to perform clerical responsibilities by using the hospital's information systems.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: a) Transcribes physician's orders to appropriate document; b) Performs selected patient registration activities; c) Enters patient charges into Invision and follows up as appropriate; d) Performs data entry into Invision data base systems; e) Coordinates scheduling of patient tests, diagnostic procedures, and transports; f) Reviews patient chart to ensure all procedural documentation and consent forms are present; g) Posts patient diagnostic results in the patient’s chart; h) Maintains procedure/test documents and files.
- Verifies time and attendance of Care Team through computer payroll system.
- Answers telephone promptly using excellent Customer Service skills.
- Facilitates communication between diagnostic/testing area, patient care area and families.
- Demonstrates effective communication, customer service, confidentiality, and team building skills.
- Answers patient call light system.
- Communicates patient and family requests to appropriate personnel immediately after receipt of request.
- Responds and carries out patient and family requests when appropriate.
- Functions as a Customer friendly unit receptionist for Associates, Physicians, patients, family and visitors
- Facilitates physician and department consults until task is complete.
- Demonstrates knowledge of basic cardiac rhythms (as applicable to each Care Center).
- Maintains a safe and orderly environment.
- Coordinates equipment/supply needs in collaboration with the Supply Agent.
- Assists with cleaning and maintaining equipment.
- Notifies appropriate department of equipment malfunction Initiates emergency procedures as directed.
- Accepts responsibility for professional growth and development.
- Participates in hospital-wide infection control plan and quality improvement process.
- Assists in QI activities.
- Assists the Manager with Regulatory Readiness as needed.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Successful completion of hospital's pre-placement/employment evaluation.
- Must successfully pass Health Unit Coordinator (HUC) Orientation and Hospital approved Medical Terminology test within 90-days of employment.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine