Forensic Nurse Examiner, Nights
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 36Apply
Position Shift: Night (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-5417
Job Department: 2001510 MWH-ED-SANE Program
Job Posted Date: Sep 28, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Provide initial physical behavior assessment, clinical specimen/evidence collection, and intervention to individuals experience sexual assault. Coordinate the provision of urgent medical evaluation, follow-up, and crisis intervention resources. Establish and maintain clinical and legal records and chain of custody. Provide testimony regarding assessment, evidence collection and handling and documentation.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Supports policies, regulations, goals and objectives of the program
- Obtains historical information regarding both the incident and health status of the patient.
- Conducts physical and forensic examination of individuals experience sexual assault for the purpose of detecting and treating injury/disease and collection potential evidence.
- Provides care in a compassionate manner, adjusting timing of procedures as needed to meet the psychological and physical needs of the patient.
- Identified and facilitates care for injuries that require medical treatment. Collects, processes, and maintains appropriate chain of custody of both clinical and non-clinical evidence and necessary records.
- Documents assessment, evidence collection, and interventions with careful attention to legal consideration.
- Provides crisis intervention
- Provides patient education regarding examination, procedures, post exposure pregnancy and STD prevention, follow-up care, HIV and other STD testing, an rape-trauma syndrome.
- Conducts activities with attention to patient right of privacy and confidentiality
- Coordinates with law enforcement and rape advocacy groups as part of the SART team
- Participates in the education of the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners, health care providers, law enforcement and the public as necessary
- Maintains equipment and supplies necessary for examinations.
- Provides testimony, when requested, on examination procedures and findings.
- Participates in gathering statistical and program data.
- Provides activity reports as requested.
- Participate in out-reach and community education activities.
- Participate in necessary meeting and committee work.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program required.
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state required.
- Successful completion of an online adult/adolescent Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) course through the International Association of Forensic Nurses required within 30 days of hire.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire.
- Must be able to respond to exam site at Mary Washington Hospital within 60 minutes.
- Must have own transportation.
- Must be available to take on call time.
- Emergency / trauma experienced preferred.
- Membership in a professional organization preferred.
- Demonstrates proficiency in verbal and written communication; as well as computerized systems
- Ability to work in stressful environments
- Demonstrates collaboration with physician, staff, and MWHC Associates
- Demonstrates ability to direct individual accomplishments toward organizational objectives
- Demonstrates ability to organize and present content
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine