Forensic Nurse Examiner - MWH Emergency Department
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 36Apply
Position Shift: Evening Shift (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-3462
Job Department: 2001510 MWH-ED-SANE Program
Job Posted Date: Jun 08, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
Provide initial physical behavior assessment, clinical specimen/evidence collection, and intervention to individuals experience sexual assault. Coordinate the provision of urgent medical evaluation, follow-up, and crisis intervention resources. Establish and maintain clinical and legal records and chain of custody. Provide testimony regarding assessment, evidence collection and handling and documentation.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Supports policies, regulations, goals and objectives of the program
- Obtains historical information regarding both the incident and health status of the patient.
- Conducts physical and forensic examination of individuals experience sexual assault for the purpose of detecting and treating injury/disease and collection potential evidence.
- Provides care in a compassionate manner, adjusting timing of procedures as needed to meet the psychological and physical needs of the patient.
- Identified and facilitates care for injuries that require medical treatment. Collects, processes, and maintains appropriate chain of custody of both clinical and non-clinical evidence and necessary records.
- Documents assessment, evidence collection, and interventions with careful attention to legal consideration.
- Provides crisis intervention
- Provides patient education regarding examination, procedures, post exposure pregnancy and STD prevention, follow-up care, HIV and other STD testing, an rape-trauma syndrome.
- Conducts activities with attention to patient right of privacy and confidentiality
- Coordinates with law enforcement and rape advocacy groups as part of the SART team
- Participates in the education of the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners, health care providers, law enforcement and the public as necessary
- Maintains equipment and supplies necessary for examinations.
- Provides testimony, when requested, on examination procedures and findings.
- Participates in gathering statistical and program data.
- Provides activity reports as requested.
- Participate in out-reach and community education activities.
- Participate in necessary meeting and committee work.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program required.
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state required.
- Successful completion of an online adult/adolescent Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) course through the International Association of Forensic Nurses required within 30 days of hire.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire.
- Must be able to respond to exam site at Mary Washington Hospital within 60 minutes.
- Must have own transportation.
- Must be available to take on call time.
- Emergency / trauma experienced preferred.
- Membership in a professional organization preferred.
- Demonstrates proficiency in verbal and written communication; as well as computerized systems
- Ability to work in stressful environments
- Demonstrates collaboration with physician, staff, and MWHC Associates
- Demonstrates ability to direct individual accomplishments toward organizational objectives
- Demonstrates ability to organize and present content
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.