Emergency Registrar-PT-Day Shift
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 24Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-386
Job Department: 2007021 MWH-Pt Access ED & FSED
Job Posted Date: Oct 14, 2020
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Emergency Registrar is responsible for performing all functions within the Emergency Department registration process. This position must be well versed in understanding the revenue cycle and the importance of verifying insurance coverage, estimating patient due balances using the price estimator software, as well as being capable of articulating financial information in a clear and informative manner to patients, guarantors, family members, clinical staff, other hospital personnel and vendors. Critical to this position is the ability to gather and record all appropriate information that lays the groundwork for the remaining and future fiscal efforts of Mary Washington Healthcare.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Interfaces courteously and effectively with all departmental customers and clinical staff to provide assistance.Provides patient teaching and responds to questions and concerns throughout the emergency registration and point of service collections process.
- Performs all routine registration duties in a professional and effective manner. Demonstrates proficiency within emergency registration and a general understanding of the other areas within the department.
- Identifies the appropriate patient and performs thorough searches within the system to minimize the creation of duplicate medical record numbers. Registers trauma patients during mass casualty situations and checks in scheduled patients as needed to assist the main Patient Access admissions office.
- Identifies possible fraudulent identities and completes the Red Flag notification form and notifies the Supervisor immediately to prevent identify theft.
- Completes registrations and performs quality self-audits on registrations as patient flow permits. Receives and applies quality assurance feedback.
- Armbands the patients upon completion of the quick check-in function and confirm the identity using two identifiers.
- Obtains patient or responsible party signatures on necessary forms, to include any and all Federal or State mandated documents.
- Secures appropriate admission status, coordinating patient admission to ensure prompt arrival to the nursing unit.
- Communicates patient/guarantor financial responsibility, requesting payment for co-pays, deductibles and/or self-pay deposits. Provides estimates for uninsured patients. Receives payments and issues receipts . Screens for potential Medicaid coverage and/or Financial Assistance and refers to Financial Counselor as appropriate.
- Communicates operational activities with Team Leaders and Operations Manager on a regular and timely basis.
- Ensures the accuracy and completeness of insurance information, verifies eligibility/coverage and ensures authorization requirements have been met through viewing HDX and maintain comments in the Financial System.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or equivalent GED required.
- Computer skills relevant to the position required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required. For example, ability to interview patient in stressful situations while remaining calm and professional.
- One to two years Healthcare and registration experience preferred.
- CRCS-I or CRCS-P certification preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.