City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Clinical Professional (Allied Health)
Position Hours: 32Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-5233
Job Department: 2001102 MWH-Nursing Ctr of Excellence
Job Posted Date: Sep 13, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable for providing diabetes education for patients diagnosed with diabetes. The educator is responsible for assessment, goal setting and collaborating in a team approach to providing diabetes education that achieves desired clinical outcomes. The position is accountable for independent professional development to include acquiring and maintaining required certifications.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Assess patient’s overall status and learning needs as they relate to diabetes self-care. Identify priorities (patient goals) and develop a plan of care with patient and significant others based on assessment/reassessment of patient's status.
- Identify barriers to learning and apply counseling theories that facilitate behavior change.
- Provide patient-centered diabetes education based on current national standards for diabetes self -management education.
- Reassess the plan of care and recommend changes in therapy as appropriate.
- Collaborate and coordinate plan of care with other pertinent health care providers.
- Identify appropriate community resources for the person with diabetes and their family throughout the continuum of care.
- Serve as a diabetes resource/trainer to nurses, physicians and other health care members in provision of the most current diabetes clinical practices and information.
- Provide education through mentoring of new staff. Serve as a preceptor for dietetic interns, nursing students and other Allied Health disciplines.
- Participate in performance improvement activities utilizing processes such as LEAN and Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA).
- Provide community service and education related to diabetes (i.e. Health Fairs, Speaker Bureau talks, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
- RN, with current Virginia license or Registered Dietitian (R.D.) required.
- Consideration will be given to other disciplines specified as meeting requirements for certification per the NCBDE (National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators).
- BS or BSN required or to be achieved within two years of hire or placement date.
- Certification as Diabetes Educator (CDE) required or obtained within three years of hire or placement date.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills required.
- Previous experience with diabetes education or related experience preferred.
- Minimum of one year of health education experience preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine