City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Clinical Professional (Allied Health)
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-4782
Job Department: 2004250 MWH-Pathology
Job Posted Date: Sep 13, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable to perform laboratory procedures and evaluations in order to assist physicians in diagnosis and to provide quality patient care while supporting the Leadership. Responsible for complete working knowledge and application of all duties and requirements as described in the applicable Technologist job description.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Manages daily operations of department and assures adequate staffing levels during the absence of Leader or as delegated.
- Reviews and/or maintains daily quality assurance, daily quality control, audit log, pending logs, patient follow-up files and/or occurrence reports resolving any issues/discrepancies/problems.
- Compiles and reviews monthly quality control data as delegated by Leader.
- Assists with implementation of training and orientation programs for new Associates and MLT students, as well as ensures own competencies by participating in all educational in-services and monthly proficiency testing programs.
- Assists with competency testing evaluation for department Associates. Assists with the education of staff and preparation of procedures for AABB, CAP, and JCAHO inspections.
- Evaluates and acts upon abnormal test results and executes problem solving skills necessary for good patient care management.
- Performs accurate routine and specialized blood bank testing in accordance with established procedures including tests requiring complex steps, conclusions, evaluations, or judgments.
- Investigates/evaluates new testing procedures or methodology, including validation studies and procedure implementation as delegated by Leader.
- Performs quality control on instruments, equipment, reagents and instrument maintenance in order to maintain high quality laboratory service, and in accordance with departmental and regulatory guidelines.
- Enters test results in laboratory computer system accurately and promptly to ensure expected turn-around-times.
- Responds in a professional manner to physicians, hospital departments and other clinical personnel regarding test results and concerns.
- Monitors equipment and supplies in order to maintain adequate inventory levels to ensure continuous operation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science with a degree in Medical Technology, required.
- ASCP certification as a Medical Technologist or NCA certification as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist, required.
- Minimum five (5) years Medical Technologist experience, required.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine