City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Support Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-5158
Job Department: 1007120 MWHC-Health Info Management
Job Posted Date: Sep 09, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Coding Supervisor is responsible for day to day supervision of the coding operations for the Health Information Management department, including management of coding specific unbilled functions. The incumbent of this position assists the Coding Manager with workflow processes, internal controls, and staffing. The Coding Supervisor is accountable to monitor systems, programs and procedures to facilitate current, accurate and timely payor reimbursement and compliance with all other regulatory agencies. This position must demonstrate a commitment of quality service to our patients, the public and our co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Provides direct supervision of the day to day coding operations.
- Collaborates with Coding Data Specialist in coordinating workflow to monitor coding backlogs, coding delays, and data discrepancies.
- Responsible for HIM remote coding operations ensuring timeliness, clinical accuracy, consistency, compliance and standards fulfillment as defined in Mary Washington Healthcare policies, guidelines and performance standards.
- Provides leadership support in the absence of the Coding Manager.
- Sustains current knowledge of regulatory changes impacting coding requirements and ensures coding staff are appropriately educated.
- Maintains, monitors and meets ongoing Revenue Cycle goals.
- Serves as an educator for the coding and other healthcare professional/departments in the use of coding guidelines and proper documentation requirements as it relates to data quality management and reimbursement.
- Represents Health Information Management Department through participation in various organizational committee and work groups, including Revenue Cycle Steering Committee, Denials Committee, Bill (WIP) Committee, CDI Taskforce and others as assigned.
- Manages the coding/abstracting services by overseeing staff and ensuring appropriate administration of processes to ensure clinical accuracy, timely billing and optimum reimbursement services provided to patients.
- Demonstrates effective communication and problem solving skills with associates, Medical Staff and Clinical staff.
- Defines and monitors quality and productivity objectives through internal and external audits.
- Provides feedback as needed.
- Participates in HIM conference calls and other training sessions and obtains continuing education credits to maintain proficiency in area of coding that include but are not limited to ICD-9-CM, ICD-10-CM, and CPT4.
- Collaborates and supports Clinical Documentation Program initiatives.
- Communicates and coordinates all requests from Patient Accounts that need coding review, clarification, and/or correction for denials, etc.
- Coordinates schedules and/or facilitates coding meetings and training.
- Participates in the recruitment, selection, orientation and retention process.
- Provides necessary coaching, counseling and mentoring as appropriate.
- Serves as a resource to the Coding Specialist, Coding Data Specialist, Coding Auditors, and CDI team.
- Assists with staff schedules and assures adequate staffing to meet the daily coding volumes.
- Works on-site, with the flexibility to work remote part-time.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Associate degree required in HIM or related field required.
- Health Information Technician (RHIT) preferred.
- CCS coding certification required.
- ICD-10 Approved Trainer preferred.
- Five years of recent inpatient and outpatient coding experience in an acute care setting required.
- One year of supervisory experience preferred.
- Revenue Cycle experience preferred.
- Experience in the use of statistics, performance improvement process and TJC requirements required; a working knowledge of coding an abstracting standards, prospective payment and regulatory requirements required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with an EMR and encoder system required.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine