Clinical Staff Pharmacist-Full Time Days/Evenings
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Clinical Professional (Allied Health)
Position Hours: 36Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-5803
Job Department: 2004401 MWH-Pharmacy
Job Posted Date: Oct 22, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The pharmacist will provide drug distribution and clinical services to patients in a safe, responsible manner, according to professional standards and practice. In addition, the pharmacist will provide education and medication teaching to patients, the patients’ significant others as well as to other health professionals. This position must demonstrate a commitment of quality service to our patients, the public and our co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Performs the following duties of the unit dose delivery system:
- Processes a first dose on the robotic dispensing system.
- Checks dispensing
- Checks medications for the automated dispensing machines.
- Checks unit dose packages.
- Charges medications to patients accurately.
- Operates the pneumatic tube delivery device.
- Checks medication boxes and crash carts.
- Operates the controlled substance dispensing machine and handles controlled substances in accordance with the department's policies.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of sterile products using aseptic technique and in compliance with the departments policies and procedures.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) solutions.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of cytotoxic agents in compliance with the department's safety procedures.
- Documents medication events, adverse drug events, controlled substance variances, quality assurance activities, and clinical interventions.
- Documents in the patient medical record in a manner that is clear and legible.
- Reviews, verifies, and enters medication orders including timely discontinuation of therapies as ordered accurately into the pharmacy computer system.
- Facilitates medication availability and distribution on the units.
- Handles hazardous material in compliance with the department's safety procedures.
- Assist the Inventory Control Coordinator in stocking medications and maintaining inventory.
- Responsible for IV to PO streamlining and conversion when clinically appropriate.
- Responsible for Automatic Therapeutic Interchange for approved medications.
- Responsible for renal dosing Responsible for kinetic and clinical dosing.
- Responsible for poly-pharmacy screening and intervention when clinically appropriate.
- Participates in assigned multidisciplinary patient care or discharge rounds when appropriate. Identifies, assess, resolves or prevent medication-related problems and concerns on the units.
- Provides assistance for difficult medication reconciliations.
- Participates in P&T Committee-approved best practices and drug use policies. Responds to telephone requests and/or verbal medication orders/requests.
- Performs duties in a manner that is safe, professional, and consistent with JCAHO standards, state and federal laws and regulations, hospital's policies and procedures, and other regulatory agencies.
- Assists in orienting and training of technicians, pharmacists, and pharmacy students as assigned. Provides drug information and decision support as requested.
- Accepts scheduled charge responsibility.
- Maintains records of continuing education requirements for licensure in Virginia and completes all mandatory training courses required by MWHC.
- Performs clinical and other patient-care duties as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Completes orientation and training in central distribution, parenteral admixtures, chemotherapy, hyperalimentation, narcotics and formal clinical services.
- Licensure as a pharmacist, and in good professional standing in the Commonwealth of Virginia. B.S. Pharm. or Pharm.D., required.
- Pharmacy Residency from an accredited ASHP institution preferred
- Previous experience in a computerized hospital pharmacy setting is desirable.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work with computers and other health care related technology.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine