Clinical Care Coordinator (ED) 7-1900 and/or 11/2300
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Job Requisition Number: R-3268
Job Department: 1007202 MWHC-Executive Office
Job Posted Date: May 04, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Emergency Department Clinical Care Coordinator (ED C3) is responsible for the management of admission flow efficiency through appropriate patient statusing, DRG/TLOS assignment, level of care assignment, and timely patient progression to achieve system efficiency. This position serves as a spoke of the Hub providing ED progression leadership and serving as the primary liaison between the Emergency Department and the Hub, Nursing Units (C3s) and support departments, and in partnership with physicians, to ensure patient care needs are met and treatment plans are executed timely. The ED C3 leads and collaborates work with members of the healthcare team to improve patient throughput and LOS performance of the organization
3 Full time, 1 Part time and 1 PRN opportunity
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Assesses patients’ clinical presentation against Milliman Care Guidelines (MCG) to identify admission status, working DRG and target LOS; communicates recommended status to physician; validates admission order matches determined status and level of care.
- Collaborates with ED and Hospitalist providers/clinicians to proactively evaluate appropriateness of potential admissions (i.e., status, level of care); evaluates alternatives for patients not meeting admission criteria.
- Assesses patient discharge needs (for patients not meeting admission criteria); collaborates with physicians and ancillary services (i.e., PT, OT, Social Work) when indicated to ensure a comprehensive discharge plan that addresses patient needs, barriers, and readmission risk.
- Communicates plan of care and discharge plan to patient and/or their family in coordination with the patient’s primary care team (RN, physician).
- Evaluates and identifies cases where status discrepancy requires physician level review; escalates case through appropriate venue for review and status determination.
- Consults and educates medical and nursing staff regarding status, placement, payor requirements, patient progression and care coordination.
- Communicates and coordinates patient admission activities with the Hub and Unit Clinical Care Coordinators (C3s) to facilitate system-wide planning; ensures appropriate patient placement, level of care, patient progression, and patient flow.
- Leads clinical care team (RN, physician, ancillary staff, and social worker) in SNAP huddles for ED Holds to ensure care team alignment on progression of care; identifies and escalates barriers to senior leadership as appropriate.
- Manages all aspects of admission/patient progression in Care Advance software (i.e., bed requests, status, patient attributes/alerts, DRG/TLOS, etc.); communicates timely, updates of patient status and level of care with the Hub to facilitate unit and bed assignment for admitted patients.
- Oversees and ensures timely compliance with patient’s preprocedural requirements for service department diagnostics and procedures; ensures communication of service event issues with care team.
- Proactively identifies and removes barriers that may impede department or system-wide patient flow.
- Serves as a resource on patient status, progression, and care coordination for the Emergency Department Associates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of three (3) years recent acute care clinical experience
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing is required.
- RNs with an Associate's Degree in Nursing will be required enroll in a BSN program within one year and complete within five years of placement into position.
- This expectation is applicable to all external and internal placements.
- Able to work independently, managing time, multiple priorities, and resources to achieve goals
- Able to assimilate information quickly to produce sound decisions and recognize situations that require immediate intervention
- Able to maintain a calm demeanor and command during time of crisis management
- Able to articulate information and ideas clearly through both written and verbal communication
- One (1) year supervisory experience strongly preferred
- Clinical experience in critical care or emergency nursing strongly preferred
- Utilization review experience
License and/or Certifications
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state required.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Certification in nursing, case management or utilization review
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.