Certified Wound Ostomy Nurse, FT
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-3799
Job Department: 2001102 MWH-Nursing Ctr of Excellence
Job Posted Date: Jun 15, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Certified Wound Ostomy Nurse (CWON) is a registered professional nurse who demonstrates expertise in a specific area of clinical nursing that has been further developed through a certified program. Using principles of evidenced based nursing practice, the CWON focuses on improvement of processes, treatments, plans of care and other related interventions and makes recommendations to improve the delivery of high quality care to patients with wounds, ostomies, pressure ulcers, fistulas, chronic and/or draining wounds and incontinence patient populations.
The CWON functions as a clinical resource, providing clinical, professional, educational in services, revisions of policies and procedures and quality improvement with standardization of Ostomy and wound products to MWHC Associates in pursuit of improved care delivery and improved patient outcomes. The scope of practice encompasses the use of the nursing process in: practice, education, consultation, research and administration.
This position must demonstrate a commitment of quality service to our patients, the public, physicians and our Associates. The CWON will serve as a resource for nurses and other healthcare professionals / providers for neonate to geriatric age groups.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
1. Uses the nursing process in direct patient care, and assists the staff with assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of patient care needs.
- a. Conducts ongoing comprehensive wound/ostomy/fistula assessment and/or continence care.
- b. Implements established wound/ostomy/continence treatment plan of care as delineated on the patient’s Interdisciplinary Plan of Care.
- c. Works with staff to address questions and/or demonstrate techniques related to defined treatment plans.
- d. Documents findings and care provided in the electronic medical record.
- e. Evaluates ongoing effectiveness of treatment plans.
- f. Maintains statistics to ensure continuity of care
2. Promotes continuity of care between inpatient and outpatient setting through consultation with patients, families and health care providers.
- a. Works closely with patient/ family and staff to identify post discharge needs or services.
- b. Communicates with healthcare providers to identify patient/family post discharge needs/services.
- c. Documents findings/action in the electronic medical record to ensure continuity of care.
- d. Assists in Annual Skills Validation and orientation process for staff in collaboration with other CNS and Nurse Managers.
3. Works closely with providers and nurse managers to coordinate and enhance the care of patient populations at high risk for complications related to integumentary system.
- a. Reviews and recommends care based on the established treatment plans for defined patient populations.
- b. Participates in scheduled prevalence studies with staff.
4. Plans, implements and evaluates teaching programs for patients/families.
- a. Works with patient/family and staff to ensure that knowledge and skills related to established treatment plan is sufficient for assumption of self/family care post-discharge.
- b. Documents findings on Interdisciplinary Education Record related to teaching effectiveness and patient/family understanding/skill demonstration.
- c. Consults on referral post-discharge for wound/ostomy/fistula/care management.
- d. Provides input into the development of teaching protocols.
5. Contributes to the development and/or refinement of wound, ostomy or continence treatment protocols or care management strategies. Role models critical thinking by demonstrating active and proactive problem-solving; teaches the techniques and application of critical thinking skills.
6. Participates in the nursing Professional Practice Council as well as other identified committees.
7. Leads the development and revision of clinical standards and protocols applying evidence-based principles and recent research.
- a. Involved as a mentor as well as educator of staff at the unit and hospital level.
- b. Develops nursing staff knowledge of the research process and utilization of research.
- c. Serves as clinical preceptor for undergraduate and graduate nursing students.
- d. Evaluates existing programs and proposals and recommends methods and approaches to enhance efficiencies and improve patient care processes and outcomes.
- e. In collaboration with Supply Chain, conducts trials and evaluations for clinical equipment/ products but not just limited to wound and ostomies.
- f. Remains current in medical surgical care by reviewing journal articles and other professional literature, attends professional conferences, training and site visits to remain up to date on trends and new and emerging issues. Shares this information and assists with implementing application of learned information throughout departments as appropriate.
8. Facilitates Prevalence study data collection, education and dissemination of results through Prevalence team, Nurse Managers and educational sessions. Provides feedback and follow up along with the action plan for improvement specific to units and results.
9. Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited school with a clinical focus is required.
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state required.
- Minimum of three years of Medical Surgical nursing practice with a Wound Ostomy Certification (CWON) or eligible to become certified within twelve months of hire
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.