Certified Tumor Registrar or working towards certification
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-2088
Job Department: 2005030 Oncology Center of Excellence
Job Posted Date: Jan 26, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable to maintain the Hospital based registry of cancer patients including identification, abstracting, reporting, follow-up and statistical compilation in order to participate in local, state and national registration programs in addition to assisting in the maintenance of a hospital-wide cancer program in compliance with regulatory requirements. This position must demonstrate a commitment of quality service to our patients, the public and our co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Manages and operates an American College of Surgeons (ACoS) approved cancer registry under the guidelines of the Virginia Department of Health (VDH).
- Participates in the Cancer Committee quarterly meetings by providing Registry dashboard information.
- Coordinates weekly, multi-disciplinary cancer conferences, including collaborating with physicians, and with radiology and pathology departments.
- Maintains cancer conference documentation that includes attendance of required disciplines, case mix, case stage, histology, treatment guidelines and prognostic indicators to meet Commission on Cancer requirements.
- Trains and mentors other Cancer Registry staff as directed by the Regional Cancer Center Administration Manager.
- Performs case ascertainment procedures to ensure accurate and complete capture of cases diagnosed and/or treated at MWHC and in affiliated physicians’ offices in a timely manner.
- Identifies all cases for inclusion in the Cancer Registry Database according to ACoS and VDH Reportable List.
- Maintains familiarity with ACoS and VDH Reportable Lists and identifies qualified cases for inclusion in the Cancer Registry database.
- Accurately analyzes, codes, and abstracts patient case information into the registry software system within six months of first contact and annually for follow up.
- Determines collaborative staging for cancer cases not staged by physician.
- Communicates with physicians and/or physician office mangers on missing reports or documentation needed for abstracting.
- Responds to data requests and generates outcome reports and interpretation.
- Transmits hospital cancer data to the Virginia Cancer Registry and the National Cancer Data Base as specified by these entities for inclusion in state and national oncology statistics.
- Assists in the development and ongoing revision of policies and procedures relative to the cancer registry operations and abstracting.
- Maintains knowledge and proficiency in cancer registry operations within the guidelines of the American College of Surgeons, Commission on Cancer Program Standards.
- Maintains professional activities to remain current with cancer treatment developments, registry operations, accreditation requirements and certification for tumor registrar (CTR).
- Participates in community outreach projects and assist local and national agencies in providing cancer education and services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- CTR certification or eligible for CTR certification, required.
- Experience utilizing medical terminology, anatomy and physiology is required.
- Experience with computerized systems, including Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word is required.
- A minimum of one year experience in an ACOS approved cancer registry is preferred.
- Prior experience working with physicians is preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.