Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) - Surgical Care
City/State: Stafford, Virginia
Category: Patient ServicesApply
Job Requisition Number: R-1717
Job Department: 2501135 SH-Surgical Care
Job Posted Date: Dec 10, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) is accountable to the patient care team for providing direct patient care functions under the supervision of a registered nurse and performing clerical, communication and other related duties to facilitate the efficient functioning of Department services. All duties to be performed in collaboration with team members. Duties and responsibilities are performed according to standards outlined in competency based/evaluation tool. Participates in and accepts responsibility for functions delegated to the team. This position must demonstrate a commitment of quality service to our patients, the public and our co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Provides assistance to patients in their routine activities of daily living, including but not limited to:
- Performs range of motion.
- Ambulates patient.
- Positions and provides skin care.
- Changes bed and provides appropriate oral and personal hygiene.
- Assists with feeding and meal delivery.
- Distributes linen. Assists with routine hygiene care including toileting and incontinent care.
Provides assistance to patient care team in collection of patient data and specimens:
- Obtains urine, stool, and sputum specimens and processes specimens as needed.
- Obtains and records heath, weights, vital signs, including pulse oximetry and pain assessment and I&O.
- Communicates patient status and reports changes in patient condition to licensed professional.
Provides assistance to patient care team by performing and explaining designated patient care procedures:
- Performs incentive spirometry.
- Transports patient. Preps for diagnostic tests.
- Assists rehab therapists (PM & R).
- Performs pulse oximetry/oxygen set up in oxygen therapy.
- Prepares room (supplies). Provides post mortem care.
- Prepares for admission and discharge.
- Assists nurse in emergency situations.
- Maintains and cleans equipment.
- Performs ostomy care.
- Performs suction (oral, naso pharynx).
- Performs blood sugar finger sticks.
- Performs EKGs (department specific responsibility).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintains a safe and orderly environment.
- Demonstrates effective communication, customer service, and team building skills.
- Documents patient care and related duties appropriately.
- Able to access and use hospital information system according to related duties (i.e., entering charges for patient related items or procedures.)
- Demonstrates ability to perform clerical responsibilities by using the hospital's information systems.
- Transcribes physician's orders to appropriate document.
- Performs selected patient registration activities.
- Enters patient charges into the electronic medical data base systems and follows up as appropriate.
- Performs data entry into electronic medical data base systems.
- Coordinates scheduling of patient tests, diagnostic procedures, and transports.
- Reviews patient chart to ensure all procedural documentation and consent forms are present.
- Posts patient diagnostic results in the patient’s chart.
- Maintains procedure/test documents and files.
- Answers telephone promptly using excellent Customer Service skills.
- Facilitates communication between diagnostic/testing area, patient care area and families. Answers patient call light system.
- Communicates patient and family requests to appropriate personnel immediately after receipt of request.
- Responds and carries out patient and family requests when appropriate.
- Functions as a Customer friendly unit receptionist for Associates, Physicians, patients, family and visitors.
- Facilitates physician and department consults until task is complete.
- Maintains a safe and orderly environment.
- Coordinates equipment/supply needs in collaboration with the Supply Agent. Assists with cleaning and maintaining equipment.
- Notifies appropriate department of equipment malfunction.
- Performs any other related duties (e.g., clerical, technical duties) as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required
- CNA license issued by the Commonwealth of VA required
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine