Centralized Transporter - Full-time - Day/Evening Shift (1300-2130)
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day/Evening (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-2792
Job Department: 2008031 MWH-Central Transport
Job Posted Date: Apr 08, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Centralized Transporter transports patients to and from all departments and monitors patients for comfort and safety. The Centralized Transporter also performs non-clinical clerical, maintenance, and patient-related tasks to assist in providing quality patient care.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Transports patients safely and effectively by wheelchair, stretcher, or bed using side rails, safety straps, and locks as appropriate. Exercises caution with regards to IV lines, pumps, monitors, oxygen tanks, and other medical devices. Transports specimens and equipment as assigned.
- Ensures the timely and safe transport of laboratory specimens to the Clinical Laboratory per the direction of the sending unit, as needed. This may include blood, body fluids, and other clinical samples. Utilizes situational awareness and precautions to ensure personal safety and the integrity of specimens to avoid contamination, spills, or leakage.
- Maintains constant awareness of isolation precautions and adheres to protective requirements. Observes standard precautions at all times.
- Observes/monitors patients for comfort, safety, mental and physical status at arrival and during transporting at facility (may include, but not limited to; arrival, stay, and discharge from facility).
- Recognizes equipment or patient problems and brings to attention of nurse, technologist, physician, or supervisor as appropriate.
- Brings patients’ charts and other essential papers/records with patients (i.e. “Ticket to Ride”). Confirms orders and/or trip request and reviews patient status with unit staff prior to removing patient from unit. Relays critical information to staff upon entry or return to department.
- Performs patient-related clerical, maintenance, and non-clinical direct care activities including assisting, transporting, preparing, and observing patients.
- Monitors and maintains an adequate inventory of supplies and materials on stretchers, wheelchairs, and other modes of transport, which may include portable oxygen, to ensure their continued availability and non-interruption of services.
- Cleans and reports or arranges routine repairs and maintenance on transportation equipment.
- Follows priorities as set per the transport tracking software or transport dispatcher, as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned within scope of position after verification with department leadership.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- BLS certification required.
- Previous experience in a patient care setting preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.