Care Coordinator, Hub 0700-1900
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 36Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-5723
Job Department: 1007202 MWHC-Executive Office
Job Posted Date: Oct 12, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
The Hub Clinical Care Coordinator (Hub C3) is responsible for the management of organizational-wide patient placement activities for all admissions, transfers, and discharges. This position serves as the leader of the system Hub, serving as the primary liaison between all nursing units, service locations, support departments, other healthcare facilities. In partnership with physicians, the Hub C3 guides appropriate patient placement for effective, efficient patient-focused outcomes. The Hub C3 collaborates with all system departments and healthcare team to improve LOS performance of the organization.
Full Time opportunities
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates with the Admission and Unit Clinical Care Coordinators (C3s) to manage 24/7 hospital-wide patient placement and flow to include all admissions, transfers, and discharges.
- Designates system-wide unit and bed assignments based on assessment of patient clinical needs, nurse staffing, and unit bed priority status; ensures correct patient status and level of care; communicates to ensure timely, ongoing communication of patient status with the Hub spokes.
- Anticipates, identifies, and manages barriers that may impede system-wide flow; escalates issues as appropriate
- Assesses patients’ clinical presentation against Milliman Care Guidelines (MCG) to identify admission status, working DRG and target LOS for all direct admits and incoming facility transfers; escalates cases not meeting admission criteria.
- Evaluates and facilitates implementation of appropriate accommodations for patient care needs (i.e., bariatric bed, special equipment, language line, etc.) with the Unit C3/Nursing Units.
- Manages all aspects of patient placement, direct admits and transfers in Care Logistics software (i.e., DRG, TLOS, key patient attributes, patient/flow alerts, and required transfer documentation); validates admission order matches determined status and level of care.
- Leverages information to adjust resources (EVS, Transport, Ancillary Services, & Staffing) in real-time to facilitate patient flow efficiency and achieve system-wide length of stay goals.
- Consults and educates medical and nursing staff regarding status, placement, payor requirements, and utilization of resources.
- Manages the centralized, one-call transfer center in the system Hub for direct admits and facility transfers; initiates required steps to ensure appropriate and timely pre-certification and insurance authorization is obtained on admissions.
- Coordinates registration, insurance authorization and care management clerical duties with the Hub Clinical Care Coordinator Assistant (Hub C3A) and completes minimum required tasks in absence of Hub C3A
- Partners with the Order Organizer to identify and prioritize scheduling of ancillary and service department testing and procedures to optimize system-wide patient flow.
- Collaborates with the Staffing Coordinator to identify and prioritize nursing staff capacity to optimize system-wide patient placement and flow.
- Serves as resource on patient placement, system flow and patient transfer management for the Hub , nursing unit, ancillary and service department Associates.
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of three (3) years recent acute care clinical experience
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing is required.
- RNs with an Associate's Degree in Nursing will be required enroll in a BSN program within one year and complete within five years of placement into position.
- This requirement and expectation is applicable to all external and internal placements.
- Able to work independently, managing time, multiple priorities, and resources to achieve goals
- Able to assimilate information quickly to produce sound decisions and recognize situations that require immediate intervention
- Able to maintain a calm demeanor and command during time of crisis management.
- Able to articulate information and ideas clearly through written and verbal communication.
- One (1) year supervisory experience strongly preferred
- Bed management experience strongly preferred
- Utilization review experience
License and/or Certifications
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state required.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Certification in nursing, case management or utilization review
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine