City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Category: Patient Services
Position Hours: 40Apply
Position Shift: Day (United States of America)
Job Requisition Number: R-5315
Job Department: 2005030 Oncology Center of Excellence
Job Posted Date: Sep 14, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Job Summary:
This position is accountable to maintain the Hospital based registry of cancer patients including identification, abstracting, reporting, follow-up and statistical compilation in order to participate in local, state and national registration programs in addition to assisting in the maintenance of a hospital-wide cancer program in compliance with regulatory requirements. This position must demonstrate a commitment of quality service to our patients, the public and our co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Assists in the management and operation of American College of Surgeons (ACoS) approved cancer registry under the guidelines of the Virginia Department of Health (VDH).
- Participates in the Cancer Committee quarterly meetings by providing Registry dashboard information.
- Maintains cancer conference documentation that includes attendance of required disciplines, case mix, case stage, histology, treatment guidelines and prognostic indicators to meet Commission on Cancer requirements.
- Assists in the case ascertainment procedures to ensure accurate and complete capture of cases diagnosed and/or treated at MWHC and in affiliated physicians’ offices in a timely manner.
- Assists in the identification of all cases for inclusion in the Cancer Registry Database according to ACoS and VDH Reportable List.
- Maintains familiarity with ACoS and VDH Reportable Lists and identifies qualified cases for inclusion in the Cancer Registry database.
- Assists with the accurate and timely analysis of codes and abstraction of patient case information into the registry software system.
- Determines collaborative staging for cancer cases not staged by physician.
- Communicates with physicians and/or physician office mangers on missing reports or documentation needed for abstracting.
- Responds to data requests and generates outcome reports and interpretation.
- Transmits hospital cancer data to the Virginia Cancer Registry and the National Cancer Data Base as specified by these entities for inclusion in state and national oncology statistics.
- Assists in the development and ongoing revision of policies and procedures relative to the cancer registry operations and abstracting.
- Maintains knowledge and proficiency in cancer registry operations within the guidelines of the American College of Surgeons, Commission on Cancer Program Standards.
- Maintains professional activities to in order to meet requirements to obtain Certified Tumor Registrar status.
- Participates in community outreach projects and assist local and national agencies in providing cancer education and services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associates degree in an allied health field, preferred.
- Must obtain CTR certification within 36 months of hire or placement date.
- Experience utilizing medical terminology, anatomy and physiology is required.
- Experience with computerized systems, including Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word is required.
- One year experience in an ACOS approved cancer registry, preferred.
- Prior experience working with physicians, preferred.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.
Working at Mary Washington Healthcare
Whether you are a new grad, experienced clinical professional or wanting to begin a career in healthcare, there is no better place than Mary Washington Healthcare. As a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company we treat our Associates like family – with respect, understanding, and communication.
Safety is our top priority
As a healthcare system, patient and Associate safety is our priority which is why all Associates will be required to take the following vaccines*:
- Annual flu vaccine
- COVID-19 vaccine