Assistant Nurse Manager, MWH-MCC-Medical Care
City/State: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Position Hours: 40Apply
Job Requisition Number: R-2623
Job Department: 2001130 MWH-MCC-Medical Care
Job Posted Date: Mar 26, 2021
Start the day excited to make a difference…end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.Looking for a unit where your opinions are valued? Then you’ve come to the right place. In this 32-bed, Behavioral Health/Medical Telemetry Unit you’ll find a close knit working group where your opinions regarding teamwork, patient care, and flexible scheduling are welcomed.
Working with patients and their families, along with Case Managers, Social Workers, Physical and Occupational Therapists, Physicians, CNAs, Psychiatric Services, Security, Food and Nutrition, Biomed and EVS, you’ll find inpatient behavioral health, medical and geriatric patients seeking treatment for a wide range of medical issues, including: Acute Alcohol toxicity, Psychosis, Pneumonia, Addiction Withdrawal, Overdose, Suicidal Ideations, Diabetes, Liver Failure, Encephalopathy, Altered Mental Status, Cellulitis, DVT, and COPD
Behavioral Health/Medical Telemetry Unit is a 32 bed comprehensive adult (age 16 or older) medical care unit within the Medical Care Center. Important aspects of care as identified by the Behavioral Health/Medical Telemetry nursing staff include: management of patient with substance abuse, pain management, medication, administration, patient safety, patient/family education and proper utilization of the nursing process in planning patient care and identifying continuing care needs. Also important to the staff is the collaboration that occurs between Behavioral Health/Medical Telemetry Unit and Snowden at Fredericksburg for continuum of care for specific patients requiring follow-up care there.
The Assistant Nurse Manager (ANM) assists the Nurse Manager in the management of day-to-day patient care services, and supports Associates who are providing patient care to ensure the best clinical outcomes. The ANM is part of the unit-based leadership team under the direction of the Nurse Manager. The ANM adheres to the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of Mary Washington Healthcare while demonstrating a commitment to quality service to patient, physicians, peers, and the community.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Provides direct oversight of clinical care delivery in collaboration with the Nurse Manager to ensure patient quality targets are met; as well as safe, effective, and efficient care of patients.
- Provides shift leadership for unit to ensure 24/7 coverage with Nurse Manager and other ANMs.
- Ensures daily and shift staffing resources are adjusted to meet patient care needs.
- Creates and reassesses patient assignments to ensure they are consistent with Associates’ state licensure and scope of practice.
- Completes purposeful rounding on Associates and patients daily, including off-shifts.
- Ensures completion of daily regulatory and safety tasks and requirements.
- Serves as a liaison between physicians, other departments, patients, visitors, and families to resolve concerns.
- Assists the Nurse Manager in verifying that Associates receive required education.
- Participates in and facilitates new Associate department orientation, education, and evaluation.
- Reviews, monitors, and documents competencies and compliance to performance expectations.
- Provides feedback during annual performance evaluation reviews in collaboration with the Nurse Manager.
- Administers Records of Conference (ROC) for attendance and initial ROC's after discussion with Nurse Manager.
- Serves as a resource and mentor to unit staff.
- Provides feedback to staff regarding opportunities for improvement to practice.
- Delivers unit communication and facilitates shift huddle.
- Works in collaboration with Associates to implement and monitor the achievement of Patient Satisfaction and Experience, Quality, and Safety targets.
- Participates in the interview process for Associate selection.
- Participates in action plans related to AOS results for Associate engagement.
- Performs all essential functions and responsibilities of a Registered Nurse, as indicated in the Registered Nurse job description.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN) from an accredited school required.
- Valid RN License from Virginia or reciprocal compact state required.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire
- Certification within clinical area of responsibility within three years required.
- Minimum of two years’ staff nurse experience required.
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.